Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flight Cases

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by dermalo, Sep 28, 2005.

1. dermalo

dermalo

Sep 28, 2005
    I need to rent a flight case soon and I need anyone's advice on the positives and negatives of the different brands. Also, any tips on who to rent from in the NYC area would be helpful.

2. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    David Gage and Kolstein both rent cases.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Also talk to bass players. The last time I had to rent a case, I got one from a bassist I knew for less than the shops. I got it for 14 days for what Dave would have charged me for 7 days.

So ask around.

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I have a Heavy duty Full sized + (Plus) Anvil style Road/Flight case.. Cheap!.. You can own it for rental fee plus shipping one way, to you!

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    In the interests of fair disclosure - what's that sucker weigh, Ken?

6. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Well Ed, What do you weigh?.. lol

My UPS Scale goes to 80 lbs. It maxes the scale. In estimating it I would guess at least 100lbs. Being that a Bass in its cover averages 35lbs, you could say 150 lbs filled!!.. :eek: This case has room for a Full Sized Bass, Bows, Music and a few changes of clothing. A True Travel Case in the literal meaning of the word.. :help:

I am taking Pics as we speak! I will post Pics and dimentions asap. I will put it up on the website for all to see as well as laugh at me. But really, it IS a Flight case. If the Plane goes down, your Heirs will still have a Bass!.. :( .. :bawl: ..

I took pics awhile ago for a potential buyer but he didn't find the attachment and we can't find the Pic file so we will do it up again and make a page of it...

BTW, Sry to make an AD of it but just trying to help..

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    The airlines aren't too happy seeing the Gage/Kolstein/SBS cases come by, it's getting harder and harder to get those past the "oversize/overweight" charges. It's gonna be hard to get a case like that past air freight charges. It's not bad if you're shipping a bass that you bought or sold, but if you're on tour you don't want to have to pay air freight every time you board...

8. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Don't Bass players travel on C-130s any more? You park the Bass Trunk right next to the Tanks!

9. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
  10. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Wasn't that Hans Solo's ship in the original Star Wars? :bag:

11. Ken,

Are you giving that case away?

Brad

12. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Not exactly but I am accepting offers.. I did say for a 'rental fee' what ever those guys charge plus the shipping cost by truck..Or, you pick it up.

It just needs a good home..

13. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    You should check out the Tuff Lite case. It is the cheapest and is basically the Stevenson case for half the cost.

The latches are all bungy cords like the stevenson case which, to me seems like the easiest way to get through security. Any one can figure out how to open the thing up.

Here is the website

14. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    Ken - With your case wouldn't there be a chance they'd get it mixed up with the tanks? (Does bring back memories of the C-130s flying low over my house going into McGuire AFB, though.)

15. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Brings to mind that old Gibson commercial where they throw a Les Paul is a case out of an airplane. The case bounces off the ground and I believe it was Neil Schon opend the case and plays a riff on the unbroken guitar. Ken, I bet we could do that with your Gilkes and that case. :hyper:

az

16. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Sure, no problem.. As soon as you pay me the latest Appraised Value we can do the test...lol

17. dermalo

dermalo

Sep 28, 2005
    Thanks for all the info. and lively discussion, guys. Or ladies. Or whatever.
    So - that Tuff-Lite case looks pretty good. I guess I'll try to find out if I can rent one here in NYC. Any leads?
    Also - can anyone talk about some differences/advantages between the Gage and the Kolstein cases?
    And to Ken - did you build that thing? No offense or anything, I'm just curious.

thanks

18. dermalo

dermalo

Sep 28, 2005
    I just checked out your site and I'm quite impressed. I love all the info. about the restorations and modifications to those beautiful old instruments. The pictures are very well done, too.
    I'll be in touch when I'm in the market.

19. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    No, not at all. I was at a gig with a 10pc Jazz group when the Piano player told me he had a Trunk at his place and had to go as he was moving. It is built for the road and I think 3 people should carry it like in the old days.. A Bass Coffen it is.. I will use it to ship a Bass the next time I have an out of town/country sale and give it just a one-way ticket! ;)

20. I got a Gagnon case a few years back. I bought it from Barry Kolstein. I liked it because it had a smaller profile from the big ones. I guess it scares the airline folks less than the big, Kolstein,Stevenson cases.
    I had one made that was as big as Kenny Boy's, only it didn't come to a pyramid shape like Kens.
    When buying, try to get one that has latches that are buried beneath the surface. They all get knocked off if they are exposed.
    www.cremonasia.com for Jacques' newest trunk. Everything is recessed, it looks like.