Flight Cases

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jkrobs, Feb 9, 2006.

1. jkrobs

Feb 2, 2006
    Guys, Im going off to Japan soon...and want to take my brand spanking BB614 Bass Guitar with me. Offcours I don't expect to be able to take it on the plane with me..but there is allways that chance. But you see Im getting a connection flight....so It's gonna get chucked around 2 times, so I need some ultra safe and hard to protect my guitar. I really don't trust those Baggage Handlers. Im going from Heathrow to Milan..then From Milan to Osaka. So it will be thrown around a fair bit.

If possible I need something that is not too heavy becouse Im only allowed 20kg of weight. Can anyone recommend a very good bass guitar case..I heard the ones that mold to the guitar are the best..also ones with very hard coting? Please reply! :help:
  2. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Check out Gator or SKB cases. Both make ATA approved flight cases.
  3. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I have an ATA approved flight case sitting unused in my garage. It's designed to survive anything but a crash. Internally, you can put bass in your gig bag in the flight case. When you arrive in Japan out comes the bass. PM me if you are interested. Any reasonable offer accepted
  4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Last summer I traveled to Germany and back with my bass in a SKB rolling Bass Safe and it came out of the case in fine shape and in tune after each flight. The bass and gigbag go into the case. Easy to carry, and it fit in the trunk of the midsized euroford that we had as a rental.
  5. +1
  6. Can't you rent a bass where you 're going?? Please don't do this to your bass if you don't really have to...
  7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I just returned from the balkans and was on at least 5 different planes. I brought two basses... one in a case and one in a gig bag... I would avoid putting under the plane. In most cases I was able to load in the storage compartments in the plane. I only had to gate check once. As soon I as got off the plane. My bass was handed to me.

8. How do pro musicians like Jeff Andrews, Victor Wooten, John Clayton etc travel? Surely they don't rent instruments everywhere they go?

Admittedly I would be very concerned for my basses if I travelled with them.
  9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I just saw Jah Wobble play here in SF... He brought his trusty Ovation bass, in its original hardshell case (decent protection, but not really heavy duty), and the case had checked-baggage tags on it. I have to admit, I thought "shouldn't this guy know better?" But OTOH, he's spent enough time touring that he must be comfortable with the odds. FWIW, his amp and cabs were rentals.
  10. alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    The problem you have is when you state something light. To get a proper flightcase it really needs to be ATA approved, something like an Anvil, and these are just plain heavy. If weight really is a problem, I would look at something like an oversized Hiscox or Gator case and either put the bass in a gig bag first or wrap the bass in towels to make it snug and not move around.
  11. If I was going to Japan, I'd be planning on picking a bass up while I was there... the Japanese market has some awesome basses at very good prices.