Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flight Of The BumbleBee, 4 string bass tab

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, May 22, 2003.

1. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Flight Of The Bumblebee
    If any of you have heard this its an amazing classic song written on Piano/Violin, Rumski Korsakof or sumthing, and it just rules its very fast, i found a 6 string tab for it, but most of us here play 4 strings. And i was wondering if anyone would know a tab for the 4 string bass version that would be really cool, Thanks

Or try and tab it out yourselves good luck, Joe satriani also played it as a cover live, infront of a huge dream theatre audience, its a very impressive piece, and im thinking of performing it in front of my music class soon, once i get a tab or sheet music for it.....argh!!

Cheers!

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What are the highest and lowest notes on the tab you've got? If you've anything below low E (open E string / fifth fret on the B string) you'll first have to transpose the song up (add X to each number on the chart, where X is enough to bring the lowest note in range... alternatively, tune down).

Next you'll have to move notes from the outer strings. Any note on the B string can be played on the E string five frets lower (subtract 5) and any note on the C string can be played on the G string five frets higher (add 5). You want to avoid unnecessary shifting so sometimes you might want to move a block of notes (eg. a section that's played from the fifth fret on the D, G and C strings to the starting on the 10th fret on the A, D and G strings).

Do that and, c'est voila, you have four string tab. Alternatively, transcribe into standard notation and then transpose as required and learn from there.

Wulf

3. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Cheers mate, ill give it a go, ive already worked out the main riff, at a mid speed, and ive tryed to work it out on a 4 string, ive also got a 5 string with a Low B, if that will help tell me

If i havent worked something reasonable out in 7 days, then i will Bump this post, and ask for someone else to do the challenge

If there patient enough...

Cheers :bassist:

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Where's your tab? Post it here, or a link to it so we can see what you're working with.

Wulf

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    scott hubble plays that, and i'm pretty sure, on a 4 string. there is some audio of him playing it on bassically.net, but that site seems to be down at the moment....i just tried going there so i could post you a link. the hub can jam it out, though. check it out.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i just thought of something that might help you out, but i'm not sure...violins are tuned in 5ths, vice 4ths. try out tuning your bass, say to D-A-E-B, for instance...tuning in 5ths makes for some pretty interesting intervals, and may make some of those stretches go away. i'm just blowing wind here, but what the hay, right?

7. I would tend to agree that tuning in 5ths might be your answer. There's a heck of a lot of notes in that and clever tuning might help you get the leaps quicker. On the other hand a lot of it is chromatic.

The Scott Hubbell link: (Roughly)
    http://www.bassically.net/lessons/online_lessons.htm

Lots of other REALLY good lessons on this page. Check it out!

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov is the usual spelling! ;)

And it was a short tune in Tsar Sultan - since arranged for just about every instrumental combination possible!

You can get the sheet music free!!

Here :

http://www.metronimo.com/fr/partitions/pdf/rimski/rimsky_flight.pdf

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    LOL@"Rumski Korsakof"

IIRC, it's quoted in the trumpet solo on one of the tunes from Jaco's "Invitation". Is it Reza?

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think you could be right - I seem to remember hearing a brilliant cello version which this is probably based on and of course Cellos are tuned in 5ths....

11. Scott Hubbell

Scott Hubbell

Aug 5, 2003
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Cheesiest Metal band ever but:

Check out Manowar's "Sting of The Bumblebee." I guess they call it "Sting..." because it's "metaler." :meh: It's the bassist tearing it up with a little drums + guitar.

13. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
  14. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Yeh eventually, i recorded the Manowar Sting of the bumblebee version, and handed it in, thanks for all ur help anyway, but i did the manowar one, its played on 4 string, i made it lesss metally and didnt use a pick, lol, tempo wusnt as fast either, heh, anyway

Cheers!:bassist:

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

HA! Manowar and I win!

"If you aren't into metal, then you are not my friend!" :cool: :D