Flight of the Bumblebee Double Thumbed

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Riouken, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Riouken

Jun 19, 2005
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It sounds like a mess. You should focus more on getting notes to come out cleanly and less on getting to come out fast.
  3. Riouken

Jun 19, 2005
    I never focus on nots coming out fast haha lol.

That would just be a poor misconception on your part.

I do however completley understand what you are saying. The only thing I can try for this is slow practicing with a metronome until each indivudal note rings out cleanly?
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Basically. I listened to some of your other sound clips, lots of the same stuff. I get the idea that you're a young player that is excited to play notes. Nothing wrong with that, I used to be the same way. But you'll learn, CHILL OUT. :)
  5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
  6. Riouken

Jun 19, 2005
    Of course there's nothing wrong with it :) My point is that it really is not the case.
  7. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I have no doubt you will be a really good bass player one day. Probably sooner, rather than later.

Keep posting dude :)
  8. Messy like WR said, but I took the time to listen to your other stuff, and your pretty good . I like your slap tone.
    Just focus more on clarity than speed. As far as technique goes your better than I am.
  9. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I think Wrong Robot makes some good points, but it's got a manic energy that I kind of like!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
  10. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    my point is that you should accept his critique, as your sound files really do suggest that he's right.

you recorded what you played and you played it like we heard it.
    and it sounds like Wrong Robot described it.
  11. Riouken

Jun 19, 2005
    Of course I accept his critique and I accept that he thinks that because of the impression my songs have given off.

Regardless, I myself know that the least of my concerns is how fast I'm playing. I posted this to get contructive feedback, he gave me great feedback! But suggesitng I was more conerned with playing fast than playing right kind of offended me.

The feedback I took from his post and will use is the idea of making it more clear and having each individual note come about.
  12. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Sometimes it's harder to play slow than it is to play fast. Definitely use a metronome! No point in playing slow and sloppy...
  13. Riouken

Jun 19, 2005
    When I first started learning it, playing it slow was much harder than playing it fast .Playing it slow required more control fr me at least.

I spent most hours practicing it to a metornome at slow speed. Obviously not enough though! I'l keep at it.
  14. threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    yeah, I'm going to go ahead and say practice slowly. Nail it slow, then crank up the tempo bit by bit. If you make any mistakes, do not go faster. The end result when you get it to the speed you want is it'll be very tight and very even.

I did also listen to some of the other stuff, you just need to work on the timing, the rest seems mostly in place. Unfortunately, timing is the biggest pain of it all. :)

PS: You're "slap improv" was generally grooving, but I disliked the double thumpin' in it. Then again, I mostly don't like double thumb.. it is just noice. Give me the groove!
  15. middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    I think sloppy is an understatement - if not for the title, the recording bears very little resemblance to the actual tune! I'm not trying to sound rude or disrespectful but it is hard to ignore your disregard for note values and bar lines. It's like posting a random mess and calling it 'Donna Lee' -'what do you think, guys?'
    I would also recommend the metronome and to harness yourself, maybe listen to the tune a bit more to find out how the lines are phrased. All that said, it sounds like you have the potential of becoming a great player...one day! :)
  16. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I agree with what most of the others said.. On a side note I really enjoied listening to some of your slap improv. Keep it up..
  17. Riouken

Jun 19, 2005
    Forgot I had this on here.

Bump I guess.

P.S. I'm still working on this ipece for a solo recital! I hope to have it done by then... hope.
  18. Alun

Jun 6, 2004
    Endorsing Artist - Elixir strings,Markbass amplification
    To be honest, I find some of the responses a little harsh. As Threshar says, the timing is the main issue. You've obviously spent a lot of time working on your slap technique and there are some great moments on those tracks, I certainly couldn't play to that level after such a relatively short amount of time playing.

Your tone is pretty good and your double thumbing is pretty consistent, it's just a matter of working on solid rhythm and time. Do you currently play in a band? If not,I'd recommend getting to play with other people or at least a drum machine/metronome. It's very easy when you're playing solo to not notice your time drifting.

Don't lose sight of the bass' role - to provide a firm foundation and to tie the harmony to the drums - and you'll be fine.

Like I said, your tracks show a lot of promise so I look forward to hearing you develop.

19. Riouken

Jun 19, 2005

I do play with some bands in m college! But my main thing at the moment is doing classical duets with my pianist friend. We just finished our variatons of Pagani's 24th Caprice!

Working wth him is helping me stay solid etc.
  20. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I think it would sound much better if you would play it fingerstyle, btw.. do you play any fingerstyle at all? On your site i only saw a bunch of slap clips...