Flimsy Wimsy

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JWC, Feb 18, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    This may be a dumb question, but I have fairly low action on the bass which I like. But, I like to sometimes play at the bottom close to the bridge when I pluck because the strings are less flimsy. I like that because playing by the pickups the strings are flimsy and you cant play hard on flimsy strings. What can i do to make the strings feel less flimsy by the pickups (middle) other than raising action?>
  2. JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    Heavier strings would work, though it would change the feel, and make them even tighter at the bridge.

Also, if you were really annoyed by it, add a pickup close to the neck, and it should add some magnetic pull. you might not even notice it though, but it could also dramatically change the feel. But, id stick with getting some heavier strings.
  3. Not necessarily heavier, just higher tension may do the trick. In the Bass Player article on strings (March 1996) they listed strings by tension as well as sound,eg; D'Addario Prisms are "tight", with "hot" output, Thomastik-Infelds are "soft", with "medium" output.
  4. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I feel like I have no control of the strings. I want them on their tighter. I have the same strings, lighter gauge on my other bass, and its fine. But when I had lighter ones on my bass now I still had no control, really.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    If your bass has a 'soft' neck, 'tighter' strings won't really help IMO. A soft neck usually the 'year rings(?)' parallel to the fretboard (Fenders, for example), a 'hard' neck usually is in a 90° angle...