1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fliptop diagnosis in Houston, Texas... any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frederick34, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Frederick34

Frederick34

May 12, 2017
    Texas
    As the title states: looking for a reputable vintage tube amp repair guy in the Houston area. I know we have a few around, but I'd love to get some feedback before just randomly choosing someone for my cool old Ampeg.

Thoughts?

2. basstones

basstones Supporting Member

May 24, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Steamboat Ampworks, Heights Guitar Tech
    2 that I know of

3. Frederick34

Frederick34

May 12, 2017
    Texas
    I've heard of Steamboat, but never been there. Used to go to Heights Guitar years ago, but not sure if they did amp work back then.

Way back in the 80's, there was a guy at Evan's Music City (on Westheimer) that was a very knowledgeable tube amp guy. He was able to repair my Hiwatt 100 when I burned up the OT... took about 8 weeks to get the new one from Partridge (UK) back then, though. I'm sure he is long gone now, I know Evan's is.

4. BossOnBass

BossOnBass

Aug 11, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I recently had a great experience with Fratus amp repair (about two weeks ago.) He turned around my amp repair in 3 days when I mentioned that I had an upcoming gig. He had not worked on my type of amp before but said he would read the schematics before I dropped it off so he could turn it around quickly. When I got there, he had already gone through the schematics and was ready to do the work. The amp worked perfectly when I got it back.