Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fliptops Cabinets Anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frankie Fender, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Has anyone out there played through any of the cabinets that Fliptops.net makes? I am interested in the SVT 810 flat back. I know it is a new cab just being offered, but maybe someone has played the V4 cab?

The flat back seems like the best of both worlds, real birch plywood construction and original design specs with the addition of the newer Eminence drivers with better power handling.

I am interested also in fit and finish and quality of build. Anyone out there want to offer their .02 (where the hell is the 'cents' key?) boy, do I feel old today!

TIA!

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    ummm, no personal experience. One of the guys at the 'pit has their 4x10 to pair with his V4 and seems to think that it is a keeper. It certainly is a looker, that's for sure. Beautiful looking rig ...

Just a thought - have you ever moved a flat back 8x10 ? I lived with the 'angled back' handle & wheels version of the fridge for a long time and it was a beast to move in and out. No way I would go back to that. I damned near cut it in two so that I could have a couple of 4x10's - good thing I stopped drinking that evening ...

I'm not sure about the flat back cab, but the cab I had was essentially 4 sealed 2x10 cab's so a pair of 4x10's should provide the same sound as 1 8x10. Unless you have a reliable roadie or never play in places where there are stairs my recommendation would be obvious ...

3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    With the flatback cabs just invest in a refrigerator dolly. I had one back in the old days for my 8x10 cabs and it worked real slick. It had a strap about half way up that went around the cab and cinched up with a ratchet device on the back of the dolly. Another advantage was that the dolly could be used to move other gear. Which is something you can't do if your refrigerator dolly is built into your speaker cabinet. :D

4. Wish I could help. Just want to point out that this would the most relevant concern to me.

Not sure of your exact intentions but the old ones were built so well and out of such good wood that they can be prettied up for a lot less than what he's asking. BTW, (if accuracy matters) that old skool vintage smoothish tolex won't be on a fliptops replica.
    His description says 250 watts. How much better handling is that? Not that I would be concerned.

5. I know, that doesn't make sense. He uses the same speakers as on the newer cabs, but his rating is way lower. I didn't get that one myself.

Thanks for your advice, I think I will go the route of looking for an original and maybe prettying it up myself and still come out spending less.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Ever seen the speakers that were loaded into the original SVT bin ? Pure CTS crap ... only way that cab could hang was by having 8 voice coils to spread the load over ... I'm no Emminence fan at all. I'm pretty much old school JBL. Just about anything is better than what was in the original cab though. As far as fit and finish goes. I have yet to see one of the cab's 'in the flesh'. From what the fellow at The Dudepit has to offer, it is as good or better than the original Ampeg cab ... The only experience I've had with fliptops is a recapping kit for my V4B. I'd be inclined to think that their cab's are well concieved of and implemented if a little expensive. They are sort of caterig to a boutique market after all...

Check the V4 threads at www.thedudepit.com, in the 'Mine Goes to 'leven' forum. That may give you a sense of what fliptops is about.

Good luck in the hunt!