Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flite Sound 1x15 + Bose PAS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adouglas, Jul 31, 2005.

1. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yesterday I paid a visit to Flite Sound (I live not all that far from them) and wound up buying one of their small 1x15 cabinets. It's amazingly small and light...27 lbs.

My existing cab is an Avatar B212 Delta, and it's a terrific cabinet. Love the tone. However, after I bought it my band went with the Bose PAS system and I now run a line out of my preamp into the PAS to supplement my rig. This adds fantastic clarity and articulation to my rig. Sounds even better than the Avatar on its own.

Having done this, the biggest and heaviest single piece of equipment we now have is that Avatar. It occurred to me that what the Avatar is really doing now that I've got the PAS to plug into is pushing air at low frequencies...the mids and highs that it's producing are replicated by the PAS. So it made sense to consider getting something smaller and lighter. The question was whether or not a smaller, lighter cabinet would give enough low end to handle my 5 string.

I took my entire rig, including the PAS, up to Flite and rigged a footswitch so that I could instantly switch between the Flite 1x15 and my Avatar.

Without the PAS, the Flite didn't sound nearly as good as the Avatar, but I expected that. There's no way a small 1x15 with no horn can match a large 2x12 with a horn, no matter how good a cabinet it is. The Flite had a more "present," compressed sound to it (think putting a portable radio on a table in front of you vs. listening to a stereo in a big room). The Avatar had more spaciousness, airiness and articulation. This is undoubtedly due to the cabinet size and lack of high frequency driver in the 1x15 (they do make a 1x15 with a horn, but with the PAS handling that for me I was going for compactness and lightness). Drivers in both cabinets are Eminences

However, when I turned the PAS up, it sounded just great. Different, yes, but darned good, with enough low end to keep me happy. I played with my EQ just a bit and found a setting that had the Flite+PAS sounding almost identical to the Avatar+PAS, though it was somewhat frequency-dependent (some notes sounded the same, some different...different response characteristics). I need to experiment further. Anyway, in a gigging situation I doubt anyone will notice the difference.

I got a chance to look at the cabinet material. I knew it was a composite of some sort, and I had assumed it was a fiberglass panel with some sort of core. In fact, the panels are two facings of thin wood (maybe 1/16") sandwiching a stiff foam core. The corners and edges are all solid wood.

Guy at Flite also showed me a new product...an 8" cabinet similar to their 10s and 12s.

Nice guys...a pleasure to do business with. Guy was nice enough to let me invade his house and take up his Saturday morning. Being able to do a direct comparison with my own gear was invaluable. I'd do business with them again in a heartbeat.

My Avatar is now for sale (NY metro area/NJ/CT only...don't want to ship)...an ad will get posted in Classifieds as soon as my supporting membership is processed.

=========
    Update, 7/31 practice

Got to play the Flite with my band. Bottom line: I'm happy. My back is happy. My bandmates are happy.

But it does look a bit silly with my amp rack sitting on top of it, sticking out to both sides.... :D :D :D

2. Cool review,
    And yeah I'll second the fact that Guy is great to deal with for sure. I love my Flites.
    Dirk

3. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Are you still happy with your Flite cabs? I just ordered 2 of the 1x15" cabs myself. I hope 2 of those with a Walter Woods Ultra will be a respectable rig. It'll be 24 lbs lighter than my 2 Berg Ht112's rig. My back can't wait!

4. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yes, but there's a big caveat here...The Bose makes a HUGE difference. As i said, I'd never run this cab by itself. It lacks the mid/high definition that it needs. If you're getting the cabs with a mid/tweeter in them, that's a different deal.

5. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    No tweeter, just 15's. I had Flite 1x15 cabs years ago when they first came out so I kinda know what to expect. Running them with a Walter Woods will make up for some of the cab definciencies.