Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flite Sound (or anyone in Connecticut)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by therealting, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Hi guys,

I'm having some trouble reaching Flite Sound in Plainville, Connecticut. The numbers I have for them seem to be out of service (I am dialing from London, England).

Could I ask a favour from whoever would find it convenient to try giving them a call? The number on the website is 1.860.774.9374 and the voicemail greeting that used to be on this number gave another alternative number that I don't have on me here at home.

I have a long-running saga involving a cab I ordered from them back around April and have already paid for, so I'd like to get in contact with them. However neither number was working when I tried ringing from work and I am fearing the worst.

Thanks,
    Johann

2. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Try emailing Guy LaPointe directly:

flite@flitesound.com

I had some correspondence with him when I had some questions about his cabinets, and he was very prompt with returning emails.

Good luck!

-Aram

3. I found that they were much more responsive to email before I ordered than afterwards. Granted, that could have been coincidence, or because they didn't know what was going on (the first cab they made me was misplaced by the postal service), or because of NAMM... I'll wait and see whether they reply to me anyway, but both phones getting disconnected was a bit scary. Hopefully it's just a telecoms centre down or something.

4. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    therealting, I went through the same thing when they built my cabinet. Granted they were in the process of moving they're shop but even long after they took forever getting back to me about my cabinet. I just got the feeling that customer service is slow. I had to get a replacement knob for one of my attenuators and it took months - just a little piece of plastic! But they did eventually send it, I think persistance is what's called for here.

5. I just tried calling 860-774-9374 and the number is indeed out of service. I also called Connecticut Directory Assistance and they gave me the same number.

All I can say is try their e-mail address.

6. Thanks Z-Bass. I feel really bad posting about this because Guy and Jerry are both real nice guys over the phone, but I ordered the cab more than four months ago and it has been three months since the postal service lost the cab so I've been hanging in there for a while now. Also, I was planning to sell my current cab to pay for this purchase, but I haven't been able to otherwise I would be cabless...

7. Thanks MuzikMan - so it is not just the trans-Atlantic connection then. I already emailed them again earlier today so I'll wait and see whether they respond. Much appreciated.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Sadly, Flite is a very small company and they are very tough to get ahold of at times. I live an hour's drive away and their cabs are common around here, folks just drive down and buy them direct.

9. I've just spoken to Johann (he can't access TalkBass atm) and he had this to say:

"Flite have gotten in contact with me. The first cab they built me (that got lost in the post) was returned to them this morning, and they will be testing it today and sending it out tomorrow. Their phones weren't working due to the storms that have hit the area."

10. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    What I'm wondering is how they make such lightweight cabs, and what the actual frequency response and SPL stats are. 30ish pounds for a 1x12", 1x5", 1xtweeter is nuts. Everything they make is so lightweight.

11. brianrost

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    How? Read the info at the website: they don't use wood for the cabinets. They use some sort of composite material that is stiff yet extremely light.

In terms of their actual cab designs, most of their cabs are traditionally ported just like everyone else's. When (if?) they start loading the cabs with neo speakers they will get even lighter :cool:

12. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    They are hard to believe and will definitely spoil you as far as portability goes. They don't feel like the most resiliant cabinets, you do have to baby them but being as light as they are, they are much easier to manuver. I ended up getting the 123W (downward firing 12", mid driver, and tweeter). Sounds nice but in the end isn't what I was looking for tone wise. I generally use mine now for practice and rehersals. I do wonder what their 2x10 and 1x15 cabinets sound like.

13. brianrost

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Flite 1-15" is what I've heard most often. They sound like your typical old school 15 cab (no real deep lows and without the mid or tweeter options, very little high end); in other words nothing earth shattering, what sells them is the weight.

14. Thanks to Dan for relaying the message.

Weight is definitely the main reason I am getting one. I don't have a car and use public transport, so portability is very high on my list of criteria with tone actually second.

Z-Bass, what did you not like about the 123W? I am getting the 103W so I'd be interested to hear what you think of yours in terms of the actually tone of the thing.

Brian - I believe some players get a 1x15" and a 1x10", for example, for that purpose.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    At that point the damn things might even float;)

16. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    :D :D

As a matter of fact, they might already! If you close the port...

It's built with honeycomb walls, which means stiff and light, but the "cover" material is not as tough as birch ply.

It's a real pity they are so small - I'd like to AB one of those downfiring 112MH (former 123W) vs an Accugrove Tri 112L. Is Marks inventions really double as good as Kurts inventions (price is double!)?? ;)

Anyone able to conduct that test? :help:

17. Sub - you say it's a real pity they are so small, but to me that is the main selling point!

Neo magnets would be cooool...

18. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    The company is small... sorry about the unclarity.

I like small and light, too. But with big thunder!

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I meant into the air;)

20. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Well it does have some nice bark to it and does put out surprising low end, but I notice at times that it doesn't quite handle the low B string that well (and I play with a lighter touch). The cabinet really seemed to be under some stress when amplifying lower frequencies. This cabinet would be ideal for 4 string basses though. The other thing is that I tend to agree with other reviews regarding the sound as "polite". I think what it comes down to is that 12" speakers are relatively new and different for me. After years of playing through nothing but 10" and/or 15" speakers, I think I'm just used to that tone. I think the 1x15 and a 1x10 cabinet would possibly have been a good match for my needs. I used this cab in conjunction with an Aguilar 1x15 and got favorable results. Don't get me wrong, they make great cabs, but I think I just purchased the wrong cabinet for my needs. I play in a Top 40/Dance and R&B band with a drummer who hits hard, a guitarist who uses a Marshall full stack, and some sequences that swallow low end. On top of that, the other members are just about deaf so the monitor mix is way too loud. So I need equipment that cuts through all of that. I did use it with the 1x15 in a more laid back classic rock/R&B setting that seemed to work nicely.