Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flite Sound tweeters?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basss, Aug 22, 2005.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Does anyone have experience with a Flite Sound cabinet that is equiped with a tweeter? I'm wondering how smooth they are.

2. Well the nice thing is with the built in attenuator you can use as much or little as you want. I have a 2x10 with horn and it's handling my high-end in a biamped setup. Plenty of bright if you want it. It looks like any other tweeter and I'm sure they buy them from a supplier and not making themselves, but I could be wrong.
    If all else fails write to Guy at Flite, he's a great guy and very helpfull.
    Good Luck,
    Dirk
    p.s. I hate to say it but the term smooth and tweeter rarely go together. :)

3. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Thanks Dirk
    Sounds like its not so hot. Have you been able to compare it to other cabs with tweeters?

4. Actually just the opposite, I find it to be great. I've compared it to SWR, Ampeg, GK, and Ashdown. I still like the FLites best but as far as the crisp highs, they all are pretty much the same driver I believe. The front controls on the attenuator on front allow you to easily tweak it to the exact amount you want. I can see where my last comment/post had you wondering, but I've never heard a tweeter referred to or described as warm, speakers are warm, tweeters are meant to cut through, and they do. :)
    I couldn't play with a rig without a horn anymore. I used to use PA speakers with a 1" driver/radial horn, and the Flites have plenty of zing.
    I hope that makes sense.
    Dirk

5. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Some cabs I've used have tweeters that I would describe as "smooth". By that I mean not overly hyped, pleasant sounding, they seem to "mesh" well with the sound of the cab. Epifani, EA, and Schroeder are three brands I've used that I would say have smooth sounding tweeters.

On the other hand I've used cabs with tweeters that sound raspy and detached from the rest of the sound of the cab. In these cases I would have rather not had a tweeter at all.

After your second post it sounds like Flite cabs might fall into the first catagory. I may have to check one out!

6. Yeah well the key here is the attenuator, if it's overbearing bring it back, if things are too loud an I need to cut through bring it up. When balanced right it sits fine as one entity, that is my goal also with the biamped setup too. But it is really adjustable and I'm sure many of the other cabs have some sort of adjustment, but some don't. Nobody around here has either of those three cabs, but I would certainly enjoy doing a side by side with any of those. But the big thing when looking at Flite is the weight to sound ratio, for me amazing sound, incredibly light, a winning combo for me. :) And yeah I totally understand the statement about that overly seperated tweeter sound, I've been there, didn't like it. It seemed to me those were also the cabs with no adjustment or controls.
    Dirk