1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Floating thumb speed

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by butterfingers9, Oct 5, 2006.

1. butterfingers9

butterfingers9

Sep 6, 2006
    I've found that the floating thumb is pretty comfortable for me considering the fact hat I've been using it for a few weeks. What I'm wondering is how long you guys have been using the floating thumb and how fast you can go.

2. spindizzy

spindizzy

Apr 12, 2004
    Michigan
    I have been using my variation on the technique for about thirty years. Speed is what you make of it and as it is simply another "position method" for use with already established fingerstyle approaches it shouldn't hamper speed at all in fact, if you practice as Todd's intructionals show you, it can enhance your speed. Most of this is all about motion economy and, in some ways, the ability to pre-postion so that you are always set to play the next note...no matter how fast that note is. While my age and taste seldom leads me down the speed route for speeds sake I am not claiming to be the fastest player on the planet but there was a time when there were not a lot of folks faster. Some will tell you that I get a little busy still when I am caught up in the moment. I would address this though in Todd Johnson's forum as Todd, who instructs for a living and is far better and more patient than I in the area of teaching, certainly can give you great input on FT and issues of speed.

3. Been playing a bit over 4 years. I've always used floating thumb.

I can reach roughly 170 with 2 fingers. I've been working my 3 fingers technique for about 3-4 months now and I can top at around 190-200 when I add that third finger.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021