Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Floating thumb?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Ok I have been wanting to start using a floating thumb technique but I am having trouble. Wich part of your thumb are you muting with th fleshy bottom part? the left side? the tip? it is causing me problems getting my fingers straight to pluck while resting my thumb unless i am using the tip but then i cannot consistently move accross strings.

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The outside edge.

Relax your right hand so all the fingers are slightly curled. Bring your hand to the bass onto the strings. The outside edge of your thumb will hit the strings first -- that's what you mute with.

3. ok i got that some it wil take some work but what do i do when i get to my lowest string weather it be B or E where do you go with your thumb then?

4. I rest mine on the pick up.

Lisa

5. Like Lisa ,I too will gently rest my thumb on the pup when playing on the E string.As of late,however,I have been just letting the thumb ever so gently press against the body,picguard,etc.
    I do the latter mainly when I am playing toward the bridge,neck,between pups,etc.;)