1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Floerea Midnight Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by l3p4rd, Apr 3, 2009.

1. l3p4rd

l3p4rd

Apr 3, 2009
    Hey everyone, I'm new here. I need some help because I want to buy a doublebass and I saw this one on MF. I Checked the stickies up top, but it didn't provide any assistance to me. And also this seems to be a new intrument on the market.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Florea-Midnight-Bass-Outfit?sku=475991

Now I know nothing about double basses except how to play them, I've been playing electric bass for 6 years now and I'm aware of the major differences in build and things. This bass is probably no good because of the low price tag. And used doesn't seem to be an option because the price gets higher on quality intruments as always. So can anyone provide assistance

If it helps I'm going to be playing rockabilly, psychobilly, and ska, so I'm planning on playing slap 90% of the time. Links are the most helpful. Thanks!

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Welcome! First of all, read the newbie links carefully. They really do contain a wealth of information. I'm puzzled as to why you didn't find them helpful. Second, forget that bass. Forget guitar shops and musical mass merchants. Buy a double bass from a real bass shop. A decent new entry-level instrument with a good setup will run you about $1500. There's no way around it.

You mention that you've played EB for six years and it seems from your post that you haven't played DB. If that's correct, then it's not easy to understand how you "know how to play them." As many others here will tell you, the EB and the DB are two related, but different, instruments. While having played EB should give you a head start, the techniques just don't really transfer. The best thing you can do is to get a real DB teacher. That way, you'll learn to play the DB with good technique and avoid injuring yourself-- which is a real risk.

Where do you live? It would help us to help you if you'd fill out your profile. Again, welcome to the wonderful world of the DB.

3. l3p4rd

l3p4rd

Apr 3, 2009
    I have played DB before, and I find myself to be quite natural at it. I live in Southern Florida. I do intend on getting a teacher when the funds are ready. But untill then I'm focusing on getting the bass itself.

I also though about renting a bass. You think that'd be a good place to start?

4. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Must be CCB season. :D

def leppard,

If you are primarily interested in slap bass, check out the Rockabilly forum here and also at Rockabillybass.com.

5. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Transducers, D'Addarrio Strings
    I think that's a great idea. Presuming that you'll progress steadily, you'll be able to figure out what you like and don't like about your rental bass without being stuck with it. That'll make it that much easier to find your own bass. Also, if you find a good teacher, he or she can help you to evaluate basses and make the purchase decision. They'll probably also know where more basses are than you do right now.

Good luck!

6. Slaps McGoo

Slaps McGoo

Mar 23, 2008
    Montreal
    Not that you can't find a nice, cheap bass, however I think your chance of getting a lemon is much higher than finding a bass that'll last you for some years to come. If I recall there was someone on RABB.com that picked up a really nice, and really well made CCB. You would need to ask there though.