1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flood by Herbie Hancock & The HeadHunters

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassist15, Apr 4, 2006.

1. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Ive heard about this album but ive never personally heard it. Is it very good? Does anyone know where I coudl get a copy like Best Buy or something?I was just wondering casue I am a huge HeadHunters fan especially when Mike Clark was the drummer. He and Paul Jackson made up one of my favorite rhytm sections of all time.

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    'Flood' is a LIVE album. It's been a Japan-only release for many years, but I think there are plans to reissue it in the US as part of the Columbia Legacy range.

www.dustygroove.com have it for $16.99. It's not one of Herbie's better-known discs, so good luck finding a copy in you run-of-the-mill record shops.

If you're a Headhunters fan, you might enjoy this live videoclip from 1974:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=fMg2vbN9kLA

3. Hard to find, VERY VERY good. Blackbyrd McKnight from P-Funk on guitar.

T-Funk likes this.
  4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Flood is easier to find than it was a few years ago...like Dave said, dustygroove(a great source for R&B & Jazz) is stocking it at a reasonable price.
    I think I bought my 'Mastersound' copy from Audiophile Imports a few years back for about $30.
    Very good live recording + playing.
    Headhunters' fans should buy it, no doubt.

Blackbyrd, IIRC, also had a cup of coffee with the RHCP.

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    T-Funk likes this.
  6. Lo.

Lo.

Jan 29, 2005
    NW UK
    You're going to love it - Jackson is just amazing on it.

Hope you've got the double live album "VSOP" - Flood is like its evil twin.

T-Funk likes this.
  7. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    What are all the Herbie HAncock albums that Paul Jackson is featured on . I thought that he played on a few before HeadHunters and a few after.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I have a recording on MiniDisc that I took off the radio - BBC Radio 3 - of when Herbie and Headhunters came to London a few years ago!!

That makes a good live album!! :)

MixBass likes this.
  9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    +1 to what everybody has said, one of my favorite electric Herbie albums! I recently picked up the live Jaco/Hancock album is was a wee disappointed, Paul Jackson was a much better fit for the Headhunter tunes.

10. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    What album is JAco/Hancock live? Is it a jazzy album? Id be really interested to hear that. I really love most all of Herbie's funk-jazz . I have HeadHunters and i want to get Thrust , Flood , FAt Albert Rotunda and any others with funk on it. What ones am I missing?

11. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    The Hancock with Jaco is a import, but I'm not sure how legit it is. They do Headhunters funk and some jazz. Audiophile imports has it.

12. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Harvey Mason was the drummer on 'Headhunters'. Mike Clark had taken over for the follow-up, 'Thrust'. If you don't have it, that should be your next purchase.

The Headhunters recorded a couple of good albums in the '70s without Herbie, 'Survival of the Fittest' and 'Straight from the Gate'.

B00005IAWZ.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.

'Sextant' is a very cool space-funk-jazz record from Herbie's pre-Headhunters band, the Mwandishi band.

'Sunlight' and 'Mr Hands' are two albums from the late 70s (credited to Herbie only) and move in a more disco-oriented direction. Jaco Pastorius appears on 'Mr Hands'.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    There's also a Headhunters' reunion cd from a couple years back...I'm no fan of it.
    The 2 albums Headhunters' albums sans Hancock mentioned by Dave(above) are alright; not as good as Thrust, Flood, or Headhunters. Anything with PJ is worth checking out...how about his solo disc from the '70s, Black Octopus?

Sextant, IMO, is very happenin'...totally different vibe, though, from the Headhunters.

14. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Paul Jackson and Mike Clark also did an album together back in the 90's called "The Funk Stops Here"

15. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i have all the headhunters stuff and all herbie's headhunters stuff but i've never been able to get this because it's so expensive. finally getting a chance to listen to it, well worth the money, my gosh what a band, at the peak of their talents and powers. beautiful.

thank you paul, herbie, mike, bill, bennie.

16. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    The Flood is one of my favorite concert recordings. It has been on my MP3 player for years.

For what it is worth, Rhapsody has the digital MP3 of the album available for via subscription download.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  17. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Amazon has it [Flood] for around ten bucks. That's a lot cheaper than what I paid when it was only available as an import.

T-Funk and JimK like this.
  18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, back in the day, I bit hard on the IMPORT price, too.

The recent Herbie/Headhunters Omaha Civic Auditorium 17th November 1975 disc is pretty good, too.