Floor coupling

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adouglas, Oct 22, 2005.

1. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm passing this on in case it might be of use to someone. Last night I experienced a very clear case of floor coupling, in which my amp was making the floor resonate...it was causing problems with my tone.

My rig:

Component rack (SWR Grand Prix, Presonus Compressor, Stewart World 1.2)

Flite Sound 1x15

Line out into a Bose PAS w/one woofer module.

Venue: Our usual practice room, which is maybe 8x12 feet. Bare wood floor, built-in cabinets and shelves, old house.

Last night at practice I was hearing a lot of boominess down low, specifically from about the low C on down. Weird...I hadn't changed anything.

Then it struck me...normally I have my speaker sitting on a dense foam pad (one of those 2x2 ft jigsaw-edged things you can get a Home Depot) and neglected to put it down when we unloaded after our last gig.

I rectified that, and bingo...boominess gone.

The floor had been reinforcing the low end, and not in a good way.

If you've got any kind of weirdness going on with the overall balance of your sound, it might be due to floor coupling. Try isolating your cabinet and see what happens.
  2. Thanks for that report - I'll keep my ear open next time I play.

- Andrew
  3. Hey Adouglas,
    Yeah I think that also might be an issue with the Flite 15, I've run into similar situations. My best guess is the resonance of the unique construction of the Flite cab. Have you ever put your hand on the cab when you're not playing and other music like PA is playing? You can feel every bit of low end moving the cab.
    Well at least that's my take.
    And I have noticed every gig is going to sound and feel different, some places it's no work at all, other places you have move the cabs around try angles, move to or away from the back wall. You know the fun of it all. ;)
  4. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    That may be the case with the older Flite cabs, but I have one of the newer models and don't notice the wierd resonance problems I had with my old Flite cabs.

As a side note, I recently upgraded the drivers in my 1x15" cabs to Delta Pros and they made a HUGE improvement. If you have the stock speaker from Flite, they use a standard Delta speaker which is not designed for a box as small as the Flite. Putting a speaker in it that is designed for a small box like the Delta Pro really makes this box perform.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i never gig without my gramma pad. :)