Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

floor models

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by defoke, Jun 24, 2004.

1. defoke

defoke

Apr 25, 2004
    NJ
    how much should the music store take off
    for a floor model?

i almost bought
    a werkinmans combo yesterday

they dropped it from 639
    to 600
    and wuz gunna throw in two packs of bass boomers

but the lil voice in my head
    was like yo db they are pullin a burnjob on ya
    and i got the heck out of dodge
    -

2. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    It really depends on what it is and what condition it is in, but if a little voice is telling you it's probably not the best deal then it probably isn't.

3. BassGuy

BassGuy

Jun 30, 2000
    If you really want THAT bass, check out prices elsewhere and come back with ammunition then bargain with them. Also, I find it helps to have cash in hand, then you can put the cash on the counter and say something like, "here, I'll give you $550 for it. Take it or leave it."

It is difficult for them to sell what is really a used bass. As you know, most musical equipment, even in really good condition, won't bring in much more than 50% of the original selling price.

Guy

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    That kinda read like a poem. :)

You've usually got a little bit of arguing room with a floor model.

5. Our shops dont take price off anything floor model

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Why not?

7. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I would not buy floor models there then...

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    At a lot of stores, the floor model is all they have. Not too many brick and mortar stores keep boxes and boxes of amps in the back room.

9. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    But they can easily order a new instrument that hasn't had 1001 idiots slapping out "My Name is Mud" on over the months and days if somebody was so inclined. For all intents and purposes, a floor model is a used instrument (and I'm talking only about instruments, not cabs and amps because I think of them a little differently), and pricing for that particular instrument, I think, should reflect that. The store should at least have a little bit of move room on the price, anyway.

10. Would you all prefer a "hands off, no can touch because it's NEW policy"????

Didn't think so. Do your homeowrk and do a little research before you start accusing a music shop of "pulling a fast one". They're not all con-artists. But they ARE trying to keep their shirt.

Knocking 40 bucks off the price AND throwing in 40 bucks worth of strings hardly seems like a screwjob. People gotta eat ya know.

And are we talking a Workinman combo AMP? Someone else is talking basses. Which is it?

11. defoke

defoke

Apr 25, 2004
    NJ
    im talkin bought amps

- theres a reason why there called floor models---

12. Because they sit on the floor????
    :smug:

Seriously tho, did YOU call it a floor model, or did they? If they are, then sure, they might be more inclined....

13. If I'm interested in something, I'll do WHATEVER I can to get 'one from the warehouse'. Floor models have been xx with by every wanker to come through there, and after a few days have the equivalent of a few months wear on them. I've seen busted knobs, dented grilles, scratched control plates, and the sticker price is the same because it hasn't been taken out of the store.

Also, places like Guitar Center have a 30 day return policy, and I can put a lot of use into 30 days. GC just puts returned items back on the shelf. If it's in a box, I make sure the factory seal is still on it. If it's hanging on the wall, I'll make nice with the salesman, tell him that I have a phobia about touching used instruments and have him work with me to find an unused one.

14. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Not a hands off policy BUT if you put something on display for people to mess around with and use then you have to expect that the price would come down accordingly. Most retail stores, music equipment or otherwise, have some sort of contingency to get people to purchase floor models, whether it be less money, longer warranty, or a longer return time. So I don't think it's unrealistic to try to bargain with the store.
    Regardless, some floor models are really good deals, or just plain in really good shape so it's all subjective and really depends on the particular circumstances and what type of equipment we're talking about. I agree that 40 bux off and 2 packs of strings seem like a decent deal, but without seeing the equipment I'm not going to recommend it!

15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Most stores floor models ARE their stock. Unless it's GC, don't bother for asking for a "new" one. They are new!

Honestly, I've always thought that asking for a "new" piece of gear is rather silly. If you are afraid that it's not going to hold up in a music store environment, don't buy it. If it can't handle some punk kids playing Blink 182 songs on it, how's it going to handle being in a smokey, dirty bar with drunken biker audiences?

16. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    This kinda fits...kinda don't. I walked into a shop out of town once where I was vacationing. They had an acoustic bass sitting on a floor stand. When I went to pick it up to look at it, the shop keeper said, "Hold on, let me help you with that." He then proceeded to pick it up off the stand and then handed it to me. I said, "I could have done that, you didn't have to pick it up for me." He says, "We just want to make sure that the guitars are handled properly." I said "OK then here ya go." Handed the bass back to him and walked out of the store. I don't know why it just struck a chord with me the way he presented himself and acted towards me.

Anyways...re: the Workingman's...check out prices anywhere/everywhere...if it's the lowest price and you feel it's in good shape...get it.

17. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Unless it's something that is not available for new, if the local store can't get it for me and won't give me a discount on a used one, then I will probably just buy it online after trying it out. I'm not going to pay the same amount for a used bass/amp as I would for a brand new one. I would much rather edit it up myself.

18. defoke

defoke

Apr 25, 2004
    NJ
    yesterday
    i saw a dude turn on and off, an amp like 20 times
    when i asked what he was doing
    he said im watching the speaker pop
    when it goes on

dude chuckled and said "pretty neat "

19. vbass

vbass