1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Floor Rig For In-Ear Gigs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by meursault42, Apr 27, 2016.

1. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Does anyone on here use a "floor rig" for their full-PA/in-ear gigs? (By floor rig, I mean some sort of preamp pedal, like a Bassbone, and perhaps other pedals, i.e. compressor, etc. going straight to the board, no amp on stage.)

If so, what are you using?

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Lots of players do. Try searching for in ear rigs instead of floor rigs.

On the few that I've done I used a REDDI with it's Thru going into a Meatsmoke Pre fed into a Two Notes Torpedo CAB along with my normal pedal board.

TheBear likes this.
  3. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Broughton P-15 preamp. For an Ampeg B-15 tone.

4. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Where do I find more info? Google comes up with next to nothing.

5. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    I just use a MXR M81 at the end of my pedalboard chain. It's a preamp with a DI. Ticks all the boxes for me.

6. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Here is mine -
    oxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi8.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fa10%2FDPKnowlton%2FIMG_2971_zpsi9z584ab.

I am giving up on the Peterson tuner - twice I have ended up tuning flat when the pedal said I was on pitch. Maybe a Turbo Tuner. Also thinking about adding some kind of a chorus.

Dan

7. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    So do you take your DI from the darkglass?

8. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Nope, from the pedals to the house DI. I like the VMTD early in the chain.

Dan

9. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France
    In any case, I'd put a great cab sim unit at the end (torpedo CAB and DSM OmniCabSim seem to be quite appreciated around here).

chriss likes this.
  10. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    I've definitely thought of this, but I'm kind of thinking I'd rather not go there for two reasons: 1) Just in general I'd like to keep the chain as short/simple as possible 2) I could be wrong, but I feel like most FOH engineers take a DI from the bass anyway, so for my middling cover band I'm guessing the same would probably work well enough. I guess it all comes down to whether I like what I'm hearing in the monitors, which is perhaps why some folks like the cab sims.

11. Pedalboard setups are great because they are portable, affordable, and so versatile.

For example as far as being portable my board is mainly made up of pedals that I used to have rack versions of. Wireless, tuner, compressor, preamp. I really don't use many effects in my hard rock band. I don't even own a bass head anymore. Just a crown power amp and a cab for monitoring which I actually leave at the practice spot and only move for gigs because I can bring just my bass and pedalboard home and practice with powered headphones.

it's much more affordable to buy a pedal pre than it is to buy a different bass head. This can save you a ton of money because instead of buying different amps for different styles you can just buy a pedal and keep everything else the same. And a ton of companies make pedal pres you got Darkglass, tech 21, Aguilar, mxr, ebs, ampeg, it just goes on and on. So instead of spending a grand or even more on a bass head to have a different sound in your arsenal you can just pick up a different pedal pre. Kinda like what the idea behind amp modeling was. But instead of someone's digital interpretation you can buy just the analog preamps you want from the companies that created those sounds.

12. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    My iem rig consists of a tuner, hardwire cm2, and my mxr m80/ hartke bass attack or Eden wtdi dependant on the gig.

13. Afc70

Afc70 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    I go direct @ church into a Phil jones bass buddy, direct to house, with an aux feed back to the bass buddy- love it! It serves me well as a preamp, di, & headphone amp all in one.

14. my floor rig is a zoom ms60b going into a DI provided by the backline/pa rental that my band hires
    earlier it was a zoom b3 which had it's own DI but since the rental guys always bring pretty decent DI boxes i downsized even further

inside the zoom ms60B i have a dbx comp sim running and a preamp or amp sim depending on the sound i need (default preamp being the bass bb setflat or with a slight bass and treble cut) and two free slots for whatever fx or eq i may need

and everything fits inside the bass gig bag ;) and sounds awesome

BassikLee likes this.
  15. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    willsellout likes this.
  16. Bellbass

Bellbass Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Two Notes CAB into LeBass preamp and voilĂ !!

17. tzdroik

tzdroik Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Western Wisconsin
    I bounce back and forth between the LeBass Preamp and 3 Leaf Enabler. it depends if i need the second channel on the LeBass. i would highly recommend either of those preamp. Very lightweight way to get from gig to gig.

18. Odinbass

Odinbass

Dec 6, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    Darkglass B7K is my current DI, did the Sansamp for awhile too.

I went IEM/pedals/ampless a year ago. It was rough at first but got better as I figured it out. Sometimes I miss having an amp, but not at the end of the night during load out.

If you run the X32 or other I-Pad system, having your own monitor mixer helps a lot!

19. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    Tech 21 Bass Fly rig should be a cure for quite a few. They ship this month, they sound really good. Lots of options in a small package.

Nephilymbass and BassikLee like this.
  20. loadedthorn

loadedthorn

Apr 7, 2015
    I've used several amp heads with a DI feature post EQ at the end of my chain. TC Electronic BH, Eden WTX, Aguilar TH500 etc. If I'm in a situation that calls for a cab, then I'll bring one. Otherwise I prefer the IEM/DI route. Currently waiting on my Noble preamp to replace the heads since I rarely need the cab, and can plug in to an FX return jack on an amp should it be needed.

TheBear likes this.