Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Floor Stock vs. Store Order

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jow83, Oct 1, 2005.

1. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    So after much looking arround and playing lots of different basses, sterlings, stingrays, g&l's, skylines, bongos and other bits and bobs I have decided I am going to pull the trigger on a USA Deluxe P.

The one they have at the store I will be buying from is prob the nicest bass I have played ever, really well set up with great low action (but with incredible tension tuned down). Now the one in the Store is Alder (TSB) with Maple board, but for a while I have had my heart set on a Ash Butterscotch one. The guy in the store tells me that modern Butterscotch finishes fender have been doing look like crap, either too mustard or too transparent - not really giving that vintage vibe. TSB was me second preferance, but again on Ash with Maple.

So here (at last) is the question, should I grab this floor stock bass, that has been in the store for at least 3 months, but plays really well, or should i get the store to order me in an Ash one in the same colour instead? The floor stock will prob save me a couple of hundred bucks, maybe as much as 400, but I can afford the Ash one at retail (ash cost more then alder) - the guy in the store tells me they can't garuntee such a good price if they have to order one in.

So should i grab the floor stock one that plays well, but has been sitting in the store for a while, or order in an ash one in TSB or CSB - but pay more for it (and risk it not being such a good bass)?

Any input greatly appreciated

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If the store model felt great in your hands, and you can save some bucks, I'd go for it. You aleady know you like it. I bet the clerk was lying about the finish tho :meh:

3. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I don't know if he was or not, the photos of this finish on the fender website don't really jump off the screen at me as the ones on all the old tele's and p-basses do. Maybe it has something to do with diffent paints?

There was one small thing that irked me about the store bass, the mid boost knob's centre indent wasn't as pronounced as the bass, treble and pan indents - I'm not sure if this is intended or a smarr error on this particular bass?

Thanks Jerry! Thats kind of the way I am leaning at the moment, I just need to talk my self into it I think. I will be going back in sometime this week and requesting a price on an Ash one thought - so how high or low that is might influence things a bit.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Always a good idea to play the bass u want to buy before u buy it. If u find want u like, pick it up

Rob

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Fender has a reputation for being inconsistent. If the store has a P-bass Deluxe you like, get it. The one you order may or may not be as good.

6. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    If the store's P Bass Deluxe plays and sounds good to you, go grab it, you'll never get as good a price if they have to special order one.