floorstand, wallhanging or just lean it up against summat?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by punkfunkfreak, Nov 25, 2002.

1. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Heres a thought.

Which is the better choice? I know it is all down to personal preference, but what do most of you use? I have two of my basses on the wall and two on the floor, no stands, just leaning against amps.

I have been told that leaning a guitar may affect the neck.I can see why this would be. But never concidered the pressures placed onto the neck in this position to be conciderable enough for me to care.

But, i have a suspision that hanging them on wall forks (like in stores funnily enough) cant be too good for them. Mine seem to hang at slightly off center angles because of the unnsymmetrical shape of the headstock (yes, even though the "forks" that hold them are free to spin). Im sure this puts more strain on the neck when the guitars weight pulls down on it.

Because of this im now thinking of buying/making floorstands for my guitars.

am i justified in this?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

All of mine are hanging on the wall. Except for the one I keep next to my computer for practicing. It is on a stand.
  3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I have a fold up stand I really like. I wouldn't want to hang it on the wall, too easy to get knocked around.
  4. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    i always thought the opposite...and my dog would probably wee all over them if they were all on the floor.
  5. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I don't know, I just see it as being too easy to walk by and bump it into the wall or a desk or something. I only have a cat, and my stand is very sturdy.
  6. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I have mine hanging on the wall. I feel much more secure having them up, but people say my living room looks like a music store.
  7. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Is that a bad thing? :D

I have a variety. I have them hanging, in stands, in cases, and laying on cushioned surfaces.

Anything except leaning against something.
  8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    if im going to practice intermitently thru the day i leave it on a floor stand... but usually I put my bass on a heavily padded gigbag, where dust and knock downs cant affect it
  9. i just got me one of those 3 way floor stands, and it works good for me. and, since its a triangle(halfassed) of guitars/basses it is difficult to get knocked over by animals or whatever else is a threat.
  10. i don't use guitar stands much so when I lean it on the amp I turn it backwards so the pressure pushes on the neck. And then sometimes I put it on top of the amp, but it tends to fall here and there. It ain't broke yet!
  11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Most of my instruments are hanging on the wall, but two of them stay in the cases in my room, one stays in the case at work, and two are on the other side of the bed. ;)
    No, I'm not a freak, it's a king-size bed and I'm used to a single.
  12. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Used to hang 'em on the wall, now I got floorstands. They can fall off the wall. And, it's easier to move 'em if they're not fixed to anything.
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Cats are worse if anything - they will spray all the time to mark their territory and the smell can be much worse! :(
  14. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    All my basses are on the wall, best way to have them out of the way, and they are prettier than paintings. :).

One guitar stand on the floor for the bass I'm currently using for practicing.

But the best way to store your instruments is in their case or gig bag, much better for a more even humidity.
  15. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That's why you wanna get female cats.
  16. Bruce Lindfield

They're just more nervous and liable to be even worse! ;)
  17. Mine has a chair all to itself (mainly cos me squier guitar got first dibs on the floor stand!)
  18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I threw out a gigbag today because a cat sprayed it five months ago and after many washes it still reeks.
  19. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hmm well I've got 2 female cats, they don't piss on things at all. On one or 2 occasions a male cat (who likes to come round ours and cause trouble) has gotten into the house and sprayed on stuff. I thought terratorial pissing was a male thing?
  20. Bruce Lindfield

It's not necessarily territorial with females but they can smell just as bad - and they are more nervous - that's because of all the males around!;)

As you have discovered they will also draw in the males who will not discriminate....:D