Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Floppy E ?!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by baixotuba, Sep 4, 2002.

1. baixotuba

baixotuba

Nov 19, 2001
    Brazil
    I have a 5 string jazzbass home-made and I think that the E string is floopy. The tuners are 4 + 1 and have only one traditional string retainer at A and D strings. Will one sadowsky-like 5 string bar retainer do any improvement in the fell and sound of the E string?

Thanks!

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Only if the floppiness is because the string isn't sitting in the nut correctly. Did you cut the nut with the slot angled down toward the headstock? Are you winding the string around the tuner post so that the windings are circling down?

3. baixotuba

baixotuba

Nov 19, 2001
    Brazil
    I think that my nut is ok, because my luthier did the cut to me and the other strings are OK. But I will check the slot angle. I circle the string to down at the post and I try to create a big angle between the string at the headstok and the nut. I looked that the E string have the smaller angle if you compare with the other strings but it is inside the nut slot.

Thanks.

4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Did you notice the floppiness after the luthier cut the new nut? Also, did you change to a different guage or type of string?

5. baixotuba

baixotuba

Nov 19, 2001
    Brazil
    I love the Daddario Slowounds 0.45 but I am using a daddario EXL 0.40. If I change the strings my E will be better..... but I don't know If my E will be like the other ones! I think that I will try a new string retainer.

Thanks Low.

6. baixotuba

baixotuba

Nov 19, 2001
    Brazil