Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Floppy/Flimsy Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Z_Bass, May 24, 2003.

1. Z_Bass

Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    Hi everyone, as you can see from the title, i want to talk to you about my flimsy bass and how i can improve it. I happen to own an MIM Fender Jazz, which I recently considered (heavily) customizing, but it seems like its in pretty bad shape as it is now that I look back to it and think I should have paid a bit more for an MIJ.
    At any rate, the biggest problem is with the strings. I don't particularly think its the strings themselves (correct me if I'm wrong): #1. overall the strings feels very floppy and loose compared to other basses. I feel no "tension" when i pull on the string with my finger. And I want that tightness.
    #2 and the E string buzzes like crazy. When I try to do a slide on the E string I dont get any sound at all. I think it's a problem with the bridge, possibly the action set too low. But even my bridge is a complete mess and the saddles are all wrong. The nut seems fine. I was thinking of a BadAssII but it looks like a complete rip off.
    Looks like I've done a piss poor job in writing all this, I cant even understand what I've written after re-reading. But if you have any ideas, please help me out.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    1st-Bring the bass to a qualified tech & have him/her look over it.

2nd-refer to 1st

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    3rd-refer to the 2nd

Peace
    Thor

4. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Just curious, do you have any pics to post of the troubled areas, maybe someone here can look at the pics and help get you started until you find a tech,

Peace:bassist:

5. Z_Bass

Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    Sorry but I don't have a digital camera with me right now. I live in a dormitory (still a student :D )
    But I think most of the problem is in the bridge. Any alternatives to a Badass without having to drill in new holes?

6. yeah sounds like a service is in order, maybe ask to have em wack on some new strings too.

some strings have higher tension than others, maybe do a search here. :cool:

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Form your descrition, it dosen't sound like you need a new bridge, You night need a neck adjustment, Maybe the bass isn't in tune.

8. Z_Bass

Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    Another thing I tried was to see if it truly was a problem with the strings. To simulate a "high tension string scenario" I tuned up all my strings a couple notes higher. Voila, no buzz whatsoever. Do you think it's going to work with high tension strings? My current ones are Fender Super Bass nickelwound stocks.

9. I'd post something about taking it to a tech, but you're not going to listen to that. It's kinda been said to death already. Why do you not want to listen to that advice, but want someone to tell you what's wrong on here...with no pictures...without the bass in hand? Why wouldn't you take it to someone that can help, like a tech.

Your neck is out of adjustment.

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    First get the bass properly set up. Your last post could indicate the neck has no or too little bow, so the truss rod should be adjusted. If you have no experience from this then I suggest bringing the bass to a tech, and then maybe you can pick up how it's done for next time.

OK. So who's next in line to say "take it to a tech." ? :)

11. Z_Bass

Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    Easy there tufnuts, I'm gonna take it to the tech. Its just that circumstances wont let me till about a week at least, and I just wanted to see if I could solve the problem myself instead of having to wait that long till I can play again.

12. my own advice would be take it to a tech...oh wait...^_^

- w00t

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yep, you need a professional setup and a new set of strings. The strings should be a stiffer brand than the ones you have now. Flatwounds for thump, maybe stainless steel rounds for bright.

14. Z_Bass

Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    Do you guys know of any good light gauge high tension nickel strings? preferably flatwounds.

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well "light gauge" and "high tension" are in conflict a bit there. It's possible to make a thin string higher-tension by making it denser. But to most people "light gauge" means "low tension".

Anyway, D'Addario Chromes normal gauge are pretty tight flatwounds. The Fender ones are too I've heard.