Floppy low F# =(

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Silverstar, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Hi guys !

I play a 7-string bass which I stringed from F# to C and all the strings are nice, even the B is tight, but only the F# makes me headache. It is .180 stainless steel non-tapered string custom made for me by Pyramid. It just sounds floppy and lifeless =(
    Is it because of the electronics or the neck or what ?
    Please help me. That string was expensive :rolleyes:
  2. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Are you trying to play it through your Hartke B90 combo?
  3. Yap, but thats not the point. I played it through my Sennheiser HD600 headphones (top-of-the-line, flat freq response down to 12 Hz) and it still sounds bad
  4. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I would suggest getting an tapered .180, the taper is probably the problem..that and a F# is pretty damned hard to hear anyways, even with "flat response" headphones.
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, first off, how old is the string? that could be the problem

also, that string needs to be tapered - i wouldn't play a non-tapered string that big - it would probably be impossible to intonate on any fret, and it probably wouldn't sit in the saddle properly either.

furthermore, just because headphones are rated flat doesn't mean the system that it was plugged into reproduced it properly (amplifier-wise). if your headphones are plugged into that hartkey amp, the amp might not be reproducing the freqs properly - shoot, i've heard of setups where there is a low freq cut built into headphone output stages to protect the cans from getting fried - no headphones are made to withstand the kind of excursion that is necessary to accurately reproduce notes that low, regardless of sales specs.

if the neck on that bass is not _very_ rigid, it's not going to do the low f# any kind of justice. the string could be poorly made, or some of the internal windings could be coming undone or loose, the pickups could be crap - i've seen the galveston basses, which are the same as the silverstar that you showed the picture of, and the electronics and pickups in those instruments are not very high quality.

let me put it this way - i've seen US$3000+ basses try to reproduce a low F# and fail due to inadequate design. the thought that one of those galveston/silverstar basses would produce that low F# accurately is overly optimistic, ime.
  6. Thanks for all the input. It's great to have so many bass experts at hand :)
    I think I will live with it and it isn't sooooo bad because I mainly use it for weird soundeffects rather than for defined normal-played notes and for this it works very well.