1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Floppy string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Poglia, May 28, 2011.

1. Poglia

Poglia

May 11, 2011
    Hey guys,

My bass is tuned to DGCF (D standard) and the low D string (110 gauge) is floppy. Its volume is lower compared to the other strings, and it sounds like it's buzzing against the fretboard, but it doesn't actually happen. What can I do to fix the problem? I can provide a sound sample if you guys want.

Thanks.

2. bosw04k

bosw04k

Aug 14, 2009
    Well, you could buy a thicker gauge of string, but I'm afraid theres not an awful lot you can do other than that. Its also a PITA to play fast, seeing as the string looses that bit of elasticity... anyone know of a miracle fix?

Oh, and if it is buzzing against your fretboard and you really cant stand it, you might want to consider raising your action, but it will always sound different due to the (lack of) tension

3. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    I do that DGCF tune with my Labella Jamerson strings (110 too) and got no problem.

Maybe try different string than yours now, or set the bridge higher, or maybe your truss rod need adjustment.
    Don't forget to check the pickup height setup.

4. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    This sounds like a setup issue to me. Your strings are not putting sufficient tension on the neck...you might need to loosen your truss rod by 1/4 turn or so and raise your saddles.

What kind of strings are you using? What is the scale length of your bass?