Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by punkfunkfreak, Dec 17, 2001.

1. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    ok, im a new bassist, and have only changed my strings twice.....i was just wondering if there was any type of strings i could buy for my bass that are tighter.....i have a six string aria pro II, and the b is pretty floppy. even when it was brand new. i think it might make my playing faster and neater if it wasnt quite so loose.It seems i need higher tension strings,but i dont know what the tension of the strings i already have are, they are the ones that were on the bass when i got it.
    anyone have any idea what tension they could be? and what strings i should set out to get?
    thanx ;)
  2. Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Although there's no "standard" in the industry in regard to tension, most mfg's will list the tensions on the string pack itself. Either that or do a web search. I have noticed such wide variations on string tension from brand to brand that it's actually difficult to simply say something like, "XYZ brand has high tension." Because, invariably, there's another maker that has more. Unfortunately, you'll have to hunt around and see where you prefer your tension.
  3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Just a suggestion - but winding your strings really low on the tuning posts helps.
    It increases the break angle over the nut and helps tension up the strings.
    Another thing you could try is fitting string trees (if they are not already fitted).
  4. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    er....thissl make me sound sooooo dumb, but what are they? :rolleyes: :confused:

sorry, i beg forgiveness for my minute amount of knowledge.................;)
  5. String tees are the round things on the headstock (on Fender style basses) that hold the D and G strings down.
  6. to tell you the truth, all strings are different, and a 34" scale bass is only going to accentuate the difference in tension.
    the first thing i would ask is do you play with a pick, or fingers? second is where do you play, over the neck pickup or bridge? third is do you use nickle or stainless steel strings.
    i have a similar problem with my fretless 5, and though i have a carbon neck with very little give, i still have tension problems. though on most basses stainless strings aren't a problem, fretless is a killer. i still use stainless 130 guage rotosounds, and they don't have the same flop i've found in most strings.
    if changing the string doesn't help, try picking nearer to the bridge , and roll off some treble to compensate for the change in tone.
    if you pick really hard with your finger's, try changing your plucking technique slightly, a little softer. and if you use a pick, switch to a thinner pick.
    the only other suggestion i have is to have your local guitar tech modify your bridge and body to run the string's through the body. this will cost a little bit, but would extend your strings tensioned length by about 2" and give you the equivalent string tension of a 36" scale bass. much better, and almost no flop. but again this requires a body mod' and may even require a new bridge if yours is not the right type, i.e. thin metal versus cast brass/aluminum. this would make the most drastic change, but is most expensive as well.
    hope this helps, kevin....................................................
  7. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    right, another question, i have a yamaha rbx270 and theres a kinda string tree mechanism on the headstock......its like a bar with two screws at each end, neither is tight completely....is it possible to tighten these to get better tension? im scared to do it myself incase i bugger summat up :confused: has anyone got any ideas?