Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Floyd Question

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by relman, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Back in the day, did Pink Floyd release singles?????

2. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    not sure...... I think though.....

3. Yep, the floyd released quite a few singles! Started with a song called 'See Emily Play' in the early Sid Barett days. Songs like 'Money' were massive hits.
    Not sure exactly how they did it though with songs like 'Another Brick.. pt2' that start in the previous track.

4. A lot of the rock and classic rock stations play the Another Brick trilogy as one song.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"Arnold Layne" was actually their first single, then "See Emily Play", then "Apples and Oranges". All written by Syd Barrett, althioug teh B-side to the 3rd one was written by Richard Wright.

I don't think they released any singles after that in the UK until Another Brick in the Wall. But "One of these Days" from Meddle and "Money" from Dark Side were released in the US and copies were available on import as they were so popular.

As was mentioned with the Stones - US record companies tended to mess about with releases and didn't always respect the wishes of the band.

6. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    I never knew One of these Days was released as a single. I never woulda thought that an instrumental would be released as a single. That's odd.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This was a big favourite on student union juke boxes, everywhere I went and was played every night at the "Heavy Rock" clubs I frequented in the early 70s!

I managed to find it on quite a few juke boxes in pubs and really enjoyed putting it on, as it would always get weird looks! ;)

But then you can find strange things everywhere - I was in a lively pub nearby which has loads of pool tables, satellite TV sports coverage and get lots of young people - especially on Friday nights.

They also have a very extensive Juke box and I managed to find some very unusual things - my favourite reaction was to the full 9 minute version of "So What" from Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" - it was just great to be in a place with loads of young people with PC's cool walking lines blaring out from a huge sound system and the look of bemusment when the solos just kept on going! ;)

8. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    Wow, sounds great. Specially back in the 70s, I bet everyone was listening to disco and thought you were a real whacko to put on jazz.