Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

floyd rose question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Power Axe, Sep 23, 2004.

1. would it be possible to get a floyd rose type whammy system fitted onto a bass. would it seriously affect the tone or not, also would the bridge hold or just fly off when in the middle of sum serious whammy bar abuse, esp. on a 6 string bass. cheers.

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Do you just want a trem or do you want a locking trem? If a trem is all your after, check out Hipshot. I seriously doubt that you would be able to have a locking trem on bass.

3. im after a locking trem, someone must make em. i looked at hipshot but they only offer trems for 4 or 5 stringers.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    (1) I don't know of any Floyd Rose-type double-locking trem available for bass, let alone a 6 string. You could have one specially made, I guess. ABM does some pretty wacky custom things.

(2) It would seriously affect the tone of the instrument. The only contact points between the bridge and the body on an FR are the pivots and the ends of the springs. Bye bye, sustain.

(3) Re flying off. Yeah, probably.

Have you ever owned or played an instrument with an FR? Personally, I think it's one of the worst industrial designs ever. Right down there with the CD jewel box.

5. Ummm...why whammy a bass? :confused: why whammy ANYTHING for that matter? :confused: :confused:

Tasteful string-bending and slides (for fretless players) is where it's at. :cool:

To me whammy bars are nothing more than gimmicks. :spit: You go and carve up a perfectly good body for what? a gimmick? :(

Sorry...but...I don't get it. :rollno:

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Just because you "don't get it" doesn't give you any right to use :spit:. Just because someone has different musical ideas than you, does not make them less of a musician. The Trem or Not to Trem idea is dead. Everyone's different, get over it.

7. thanx 4 that stubi19, i just thought it would be a cool idea. the guitarist can get sum crazy sounds with his trem, i just wanna do sum of the same. :hyper:

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I think Hipshot's new bass tremolo is a pretty good design. If enough peoiple ask for it, I'm sure they'll do a six-string version.

I used to own a guitar with a FR - never again. I only suspect these things were popular because (a) lots of '80s guitar heroes used them, and (b) their roadies had to put up with the hassle of setting these beasts up and making sure that they actually worked.

Your guitar player might be able to get a lot of cool effects from his FR, but I'll bet he's cursing every time he has to adjust his intonation. Or cut the ball ends off his strings. Or when a string slips out of its retainer block. Or he forgets to tighten the locking nut. Or the locking nut won't tighten. Or the nut rattles. Or he breaks a string. Or he forgets an allen wrench. Or he takes all the strings off at once. Or he loses a screw...