Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flush Straplocks

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DougP, Mar 21, 2005.

1. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i did the prerequisite search and read the threads but didnt find what i was looking for.

i am currently building my first project bass and am looking to install the flush mounted Dunlop strap locks. The only place i have found them is at Ken Smiths site. Does he sell them directly? are there any other sources for these on the internet?

Thanks

2. You don't need any special parts, just cut out enough space on the bass to get them to fit flush. :) If you notice the shape of the connector is like a cone, with a smaller ring on the inside. Just make sure you don't use a drill bit bigger than the outside diameter. And if I recall it was only about 1/2 depth to get it right.
    Good Luck,
    Dirk

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i tried that on a bass a long time ago and i wasnt happy with the results. it began to move around in the hole after about two years.

4. If you bore a hole the same diameter as the part, you should have no problems at all.

5. While you can flush mount standard strap locks (and I have) the strap locks specifically designed to be flush mounted really do look better. Try Allparts.com and seach for dunlop flush

6. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    thanks for the tip on Allparts. i ordered them straight from Ken. he also sells them at a lower price.

7. What is his current pricing?