1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fly fishing

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I just got my first flyrod in the mail (Cabela's Prestige), and am waiting on the reel, line, and flies. I'm pretty excited about it all.

I'm 20, but just got into the world of the great outdoors about a year ago. It started with birdhunting in order to spend time with my pop, but it's gone so much beyond that. Now he's got a pretty GSP for the first time in 15 years that we'll hunt with in the fall. So that was my beginning in outdoor life.

But bird season is short, and sometimes something else is called for. My dad is a bigtime angler, but never with a flyrod. This seemed to suit me more - more portable, more relaxing, no need for a boat, and you're actually in the water than on it.

And now I'm just waiting for everything else to come in, and I can't wait to get in the water with this stuff. I'm a member of a flyfishing forum, but I thought I'd see if any of my buddies here were into it, and had any advice to give me.

2. I spent YEARS flyfishing in NY and around New England. At some point, I would love to get geared up for saltwater flyfishing down here. It's a great way to spend time outside. I would suggest spending some time with an expert that can get your gear dialed in and some basic casting down. Learning bad form from the start is a huge mistake. Be safe on the water and have fun!!

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I am a sales rep for a Flyfishing company (Cortland / Hardy ) in the MW. And yes I love it. I haven't done much salt, thats next years big trip. But I have done Salmon, Steelhead, Muskie, Bass, along with trout fishing. It is a blast. I'm off to Alaska first week of Augest. One suggestion Eric you must develop a taste for Single Malts (the history is intertwined). and you must chase Salmon sometime this fall on the West side of MI. It's great fishing, relitivly easy, and a 20 lb. plus fish is a blast on a fly rod. P1010004.

4. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Nice! I learned to flyfish on a cabela's rod (a fish eagle...)when I was about 5. I finally moved on to a better rod this spring, but I thought it was a pretty solid rod even as started to get a vague idea what I was doing.

I'd second FLKnifemaker's suggerstion of getting someone that can show you around... Bad habits can be tough to break.

Hope you enjoy it!

5. Something tells me you would get along well with Les Claypool.