Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FLYFISHING? What I did this week

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by burk48237, Sep 11, 2005.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I know theirs a couple of us out their. Other flyfisherman that is, any way this week I was about eighty two track miles from Sauté Saint Marie, Ontario, Canada chasing Pink salmon. I saw far more bear tracks then other people tracks and saw Bald Eagles, last year we saw a Sow with two cubs and a wolf on the stream! The fishing was slower then usual, lack of rain has pushed the run back, I landed about 6 on day one a maybe 15 on day two. Pinks are a blast on light tackle ( 6 wt./ 4x leader) and almost every fish gets into your reel drag. In a couple of weeks I'm chasing the big boys (King Salmon) the fish are running a little smaller this year, average is still about 15 pounds, and they will put a bend in a 9 weight!

2. Wow, nice shots, it seems you caught some...
    Must be cooler hobby than bass....

3. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    That looks almost EXACTLY like the fish that we were catching when I went up to Alaska. Except the ones were red.

The guy was calling them, "The Big Red Boots."

Does that ring a bell per chance?

4. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I think the Salmon your referring to are Sockeyes, they run bigger then Pinks but are evidently terrible eating. Hence, Alaskans hate them and are quite derogatory of them. Pinks are smaller, but don't turn Red or Pink like Sockeyes and Sliver or Coho Salmon. Pinks are really very good fighters on light tackle and during a good run a fifty fish day is quite common.

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Nice fish!

If only you looked a bit more like the girls in your avatars... :scowl:

:D

6. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Another flyfisherman here.

Just got back from a week up in the boundry waters of Northern Minnesota. There's nothing like heading out in a canoe early in the morning throwing topwater flies for smallmouth, and a few pike threw in here and there. We had a blast - nothing of any real size, the weather was a bit unsettled. None-the-less, we caught a bunch and had a great time.

7. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Oo. Thanks.

Yeah I remember him saying they are horrid eats.

/sorry for semi-hi-jack.

8. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I did Boundry Waters several years ago and was not real competent with the Fly Rod at the time. I still caught a pile of Fish. Man that is a beautiful place, saw one other group of canoeist for four days after day one. Seclusion at it's finest.