Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flying bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JohnL, Dec 11, 2000.

1. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    My band is going to Germany for two weeks in January, and need some advice about travelling overseas with my basses. I've flown as far as the west coast before only loosening the string tension, but this ride is going to be LONG! Do I need to do anything else? I was mainly concerned with the temperature & humidity factors, if any. Do I need any kind of humidifier/de-humidifier? I'm pretty sure it will be in a non-climate controlled cargo hold for 8 hours or more, and didn't know if there were any concerns about temperature &/or condensation. My cases are Anvil-style ATA (not the SKB plastic type), but I'm not sure if they are (or need to be) 100% airtight. Thanks!

2. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Thanks, Singray, but that thread didn't really answer my real concern, which was the humidity change question. I didn't want to find later that moisture or condensation had gotten into the control cavity and pickup windings. I thought that something coming out of what essentially will be cold strage, into a climate controlled room would develop some condensation, like a chilled glass does when you remove it from a refrigerator. Maybe since none of those replies mentioned anything like that, it may not be a problem at all. I just wasn't sure, and figured a dumb question beat a bad result anyday!