Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flying Fin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by swrbass5, Aug 20, 2002.

1. swrbass5

swrbass5 Gold Supporting Member

I have a friend who plays for Albert Lee. At a recent show in Finland, a representative of "Flying Fin" basses contacted him about building a presonlized model to his specs. Does anyone know of this Company? It's the first I've heard of them.

2. wyrtti

wyrtti Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi,

Not much info, but the "Flying Finn" is a guitar made by a Finnish luthier called Matti Nevalainen. Supposed to be a great guitar and I vaguely remember trying out a 5-string Jazz copy of his and thinking that it was the best sounding and feeling Jazz bass that I've ever played. But then again, I don't like the normal Fenders very much, so that might be very misleading.

Anyway, Matti Nevalainen's instruments have a good reputation here in Finland, so your friend would be getting a quality instrument.

Oh, and I found a link...
    http://www.finnishguitarworks.com/index.htm

It does say that he's going to be making a Flying Finn bass...

3. I've never seen their basses but I know Chris Vachon from Roomful of Blues uses Flying Finn guitars. They are very well made and, at least when Chris plays them, they sound great.