Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flying MotorCycle!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by j-raj, Feb 27, 2006.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  2. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    25 grand for one of these? :eek:

I'm looking at loans as we speak.

AuG

3. I'm no aviation expert, but the term "unpowered rotor" scares me a little.:D

4. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yeah, I know... applying online as we speak!

5. Dateline Atlanta: Smokin' bassist and Orange Amp lover, J-Raj, dies in a firey crash while trying to avoid Atlanta gridlock. Apparently there was a problem when an inventor in Texas combined a motorcycle and a helicopter!!!!

:D :D :D :bawl: :bawl:

I don't want to see that headline man!!!!!

6. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Wow, thanks man!...ok, on second thought, I think that I'll skip that headline!

7. Just Kidding J. Looks like fun. I have a 1 minute drive to work, so I can't relate. Although, there are a lot of open spaces here in SW Ohio!!!! It looks like it lands very smoothly!

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    It's a takeoff (pun intended) of a 40 year old design, the Bensen Gyrocopter.

Helicopters and hookers = no visible means of support.

9. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I'm not that excited about this model. I'm more excited about whats to come from this :).

:bassist: widdly widdly widdly

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Probably an NTSB accident report.

11. zing!

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Which itself was a takeoff (pun also intended :D) of the autogyro, originally designed in the 20's or 30's (can't remember the exact date, and I'm at work, so I can't go looking on the 'net)

The old man flew fixed wing aircraft for almost 50 years (USAF, then DAL), his take was basic:

"Anything that has it's primary lift unit attached with ONE bolt* is not something I'm getting in."

If pop wasn't gettin' in it, neither am I!

*(aka the "Jesus nut", as in "if it comes off, start talkin' to Jesus, 'cuz you're about to see him")

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    * note to self, check "Jesus nut" before takeoff.

I still want one.

14. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Bingo...that's the part. Was it a nut or a bolt? I know it's called Jesus.

As long as your transmission doesn't pack it in and you're not over shark infested waters, just autorotate all the way down.

Gard...Cierva, Pitcairn, Umbaugh, Air and Space, McCullough....them names ring a Bell (pun intended):D

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    BONG!!! :eek:

(...pun intended, and if you're a REAL aviation geek, you'll get it!!! :D ;) )

16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    looks cool. i want one.

17. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    That drum brake brake and front fork look like they are off of some mid '70's Japanese dirt bike. Kinda scary. I couldn't see any other brakes, cables, or brake rotors on the chassis. Even if it had drums on the outboard wheels it's still scary.

The non powered rotor is a cool idea. Constant lift without engine power. Not a bad idea.

That thing is probably safer in the air.

18. ok, anyone want to get me past the point where he sais UNPOWERED ROTOR????? if the damn thing is keeping me in the air i want to know that something is making it spin. and dont say its the magic ghosts of flight, last time i believed that one I, well, lets just not go there ok

"Probably an NTSB accident report."
    "Zing!"
    "*(aka the "Jesus nut", as in "if it comes off, start talkin' to Jesus, 'cuz you're about to see him")"
    "* note to self, check "Jesus nut" before takeoff."

Im in tears im laughing so hard, made a crapy morning a little better reading this thread

19. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Easy, this thing is just an autogyro. The rear rotor pushes the craft forward like the fan on an airboat. The slight rearward tilt of the upper rotor means that forward motion will make the blades spin just by the air moving past them, like a pinwheel. Eventually, you get moving fast enough that the upper rotor will create its own lift and you take off. So long as you're moving, the upper rotor will maintain lift - slow down the forward thrust and you'll fly lower, etc.

Think of a maple seed (helicopters, that's maple, right?) with its wing spinning thru the air as it falls - it falls slowly because the spin imparted by the air itself makes it function like a rotary wing. Just imagine that, spinning faster (forced by forward motion and held in place by an axle) and designed with a lift-inducing wing shape.

20. ah, so that explains the slow float down when it powers down