Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flying V Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rythmstick, Sep 24, 2003.

1. rythmstick

rythmstick

Sep 23, 2003
    Ontario Canada
    Just wondering what are people's opinions on the Flying V bass. Also on making a Flying V Bass, I plan to make one, 34 inch scale length and a five string, it should look really cool.

2. thewalrus81

thewalrus81 Guest

Sep 19, 2003
    Dallas TX
    my opinion on the flying v in general, be it guitar or bass is that they are ugly. just my opinion but i dont care for the whole v look. ive never played one so my opinion is only on the looks but still...

3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I think they look very cool (most) but you have to stand up to play them or set the V part on the inside of your right leg.

I guess that I've had one as a guitar, and will not buy another one be it a bass or guitar.

4. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    I love Vs! :bassist: rythmstick, please let me know how it turns out. I'd definitely be interested in buying one if you can make it workable and the craftsmanship will be on par with, say, MIJ Fenders. Fernandes wants $2500 USD to build me exactly what you're talking about...

5. Why not consider Warmoth? They make V bodies.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I love the look, but I would expect them to neck dive horribly.

7. kutz

kutz

Mar 19, 2003
    Orange County CA
    V's are cool, but keep in mind that if you put the strap button where the neck & body meet (where else) it's gonna be a hell of a reach for the 1st and 2nd frets. Believe me, I've got a Dean ML bass.

You might want to think about making a contraption like the guy in this thread did; http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92993

If you want to be able to sit down and play it, think about buying one of those fold out leg rests that Steinbergers have. http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=439

8. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    ugly like ugly :meh:

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I like the look of V's (and T-birds and Explorers) but can't deal with the neck-dive.

10. I like how I can play a V when I sit with it..but standing up seems like an issue, could just be how the strap pins are positioned or something

11. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Actually there's a fix for this. You could screw the strap button under body just before the neck.

I think V's look cool but I tend to go for the traditional look so you won't be seeing me playing one anytime soon.

Here's a pretty cool looking Flying V bass that I came across online. Its made by Burny, they're part of Fernandes.

12. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    <b>Whats up with gibsons neck dive anyway?..<b>

I played a friends EB last night, and I was fighing to keep the damn thing up... And I am not a small guy, he is - totaly uncomfortable, but real sweet tone... meh..

Alex