1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flying-V Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WhoSeyes, Sep 4, 2008.

1. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    Hi everyone!

I heard that Gibson used to build some of these time ago and I've seen a couple of pictures of them on the internet... so I've just fallen in love!

The fling-Vs and the telecasters are my favourite guitars and, though is not the same, I would be forever happy I've could have one of those for me (a flying-V bass, alpine white).

Does anyone know if its still on sale? (1rst hand). I don't really care if Gibson builds it or another company does...

Anyone has one of those? Do they sound as pretty as they look (for me, hehe)?

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_i7EOCYHSDIg/SCPrhQCt1AI/AAAAAAAAAPo/Mo1Uxsi4qWk/Davison+V+bass.jpg

2. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
  3. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    D'oh! What a beauty! Thanks a lot man!

I'm quite a noob and only know about some of the big companies, you know (gibson, ibanez, fender, blablabla), could you or anyone tell me if this "Edwards" makes good instruments or whatever?

And what about those pickups? I've only played with J and P pickups... I'd guess those would sound pretty different, won't they?

Thanks again, you saved the day!

4. I have an Epiphone flying V. You can catch them on evilbay for around $500. I've heard that they sound better than the Gibsons. I've never played a gibson so I can't tell you if it's true or not. The only problem I have is the neck dive. I'm going to relocate the strap button (as was done on my Thunderbird) and see if that helps.

L.A.

P.S. The Epiphone has some great picups

l_2797bb668995ba2e619aad3b5bbd20bc.

5. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    the Gibson was Gibson's worse sounding bass ever!

The Epi is better. Hamer made a nice one

Guild one
    76_12_hot20tuna_01.

Gibson 6 string chambered body fretless bass one off
    Large-Flying-V.

6. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I believe the bass Jack is playing is a FrankenVee. The neck is from a Thunderbird and the rest I think came from Larry Craig's shop.

G

7. allotabass

allotabass Guest

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    [​IMG]

9. Can you tell a little more about this? Any other picture?

10. dean makes a V

11. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    No, that was from an old NAMM show, only picture I have seen, no other info. Sorry.

12. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    Well, I've always wanted one so I "rescued" one off eBay.

This thing is a mess but In decent shape under all the abuse and miss-assembly. The 3 point bridge is the biggest laugh. the adjusting screws are backwards and the saddles are on the wrong strings. the E saddle was on the G string and the A and D were swapped. Couldn't even get one right...haha. The guy had a really bad case of pizza fingers too. I think it was the same guy who rents dvd's before me on netflix. Loose jack and a few other forehead slappers on this "like new" bass to attend to and she'll be back in fine shape. Why oh why did you only put one straplock button on????:rolleyes: The strings are funny too. It's a long scale set so the silk and the back winding sit over the bridge saddles and the E is step wound. Which would be fine on a bridge where you could individually adjust the saddle height but since its all together as a team the string height has to be brought waaay up to compensate for the step. Oh and the felt washer on the one strap button was superglued nullifying any paint protection it may have offered.

. new strings ordered (GHS Electric Bass 4 String Pressurewound 30" - 31" Scale, .040 - .096, 7700)
    . Straplock buttons ordered
    . Considering a Hipshot Supertone bridge...(Not needed but, pretty spiffy in my book.)
    . Moved the front strap button to the back of the body where it belongs instantly curing the neck dive.

I can't wait to get this thing playable. It's going to be fun havin' a short scale bass in the arsenal.

13. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    yes the gibson flying V bass was only made for a couple of years. as a matter of fact theres only like 300 someodd of them that were ever made.theyre very rare.and can sell for as much as $4000.i wouldnt doubt the bass it self tho.i know people said it sounds bad but who cares? anyways if you got a nice amp with good tone you might be able to get a decent sound with it.with only 300 of them around i think it might be worth it in a way;here try out this website, its called Gbase.com,im pretty sure that there is two of them for sale on there.idk about the alpine white tho :meh:

14. Guild also made a nice V. and it came in purple.

MM

15. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
  16. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    :eek:

WOW, that's the most beautiful 7-string bass I've ever seen.

It's also the most beautiful flying V bass I've ever seen.

(I hope there is nothing wrong with me.)

17. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    I remember as a kid going down to the biggest music store here. I can't remember if it was Seattle Music or Guitar Center(Before GC even existed.) This was back in 1978-79 and they had a Red Gibson Flying V Bass. I've never seen a red one since then. $600. Big bucks for a paper route kid. My parents didn't go for my pleas either. If only....:(:crying:

18. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    The Gibson ones do bring big bucks when they pop up. When these things came out they just sat in the store you couldn't give them away for 300 bucks. They sat for good reason they are dogs and sound terrible. Great for adding to a collection but if your looking for something to play maybe get the Epiphone. Ibanez made a nice on back around '76.