1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flying V Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Deacon, Sep 6, 2008.

1. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
  2. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Anything is possible. It may require routing, and certainly cutting the PG.

Never played one, but it looks like a fun axe.

3. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    I think it would be a really cool backup, but I have NO idea how to route it out, or cut the PG.

4. Sifl

Sifl

May 14, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Dang! That sure is rad!

5. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    So P-basses aren't doing it for ya anymore, or is this one just for fun?

;)

6. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Oh trust me, its been bad dude. Like I love my p bass, so thats my main one. But I need at least one other one. And I have been going crazy thinking about what the heck to do. Like, my p bass, has THE sound I want, and its the perfect color. So, I don't want to one up it. I want something with a different tone, but still awesome.

I thought the V looked cool, but I don't know if its gonna be what I am looking for.

I have been thinking about a single coil p bass, but I would change the pg shape.

I want something sounding like this really:

7. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    oooh .. a flying V been wanting one of those for a while lol thats on my personal list of basses to aquire

8. Bassgirlsara

Bassgirlsara

May 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    thats so cool!

that looks sweet! a guy brought one into GC that was a Gibson to try and find a case for it, it was AWESOME. I guess The Gibson ones are super rare

9. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    you should search the forum for threads about the Flying V. not many positive comments about the way it sounds. sorry!

10. I've got one.

[​IMG]

The moment I got it, I found the nut was loose and would require glueing into place properly.

The action needed a good dose of sorting out - in common with many far more expensive basses
    that I own. I don't like that style of bridge very much, but it's Gibson styled and is quite accurate,
    AFAIK.

The sound is pure Gibson thumpiness, with lots of capability for a bit of growl and twang, but I had
    to raise the pickups practically up to the strings (they are that weak). I think the pickups are not
    essentially made for the V, as they are far wider than the strings. Any other pickups would probably
    be an improvement, to be honest.

The pickup selector wiring could be better, as it has dropped out on one pickup before now.

But it looks great.