1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flying V basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rocknrolljunkie, May 4, 2006.

1. Rocknrolljunkie

Rocknrolljunkie

Jan 29, 2006
    hi guys,

lately i was thinking about flying v basses. i think they're cool looking but.. i dont know who makes them or how they play.

i know epiphone had a short scale v bass but its discontinued. dean guitars now has a new model i think but i'm not gonna buy a dean i think.

somebody else knows more about them or has experience with them? who uses them? who makes them and where can i find them?

thanks for all responses :)

2. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    I made one back in 1979-80 when nobody was building one.

It was OK, but I ended up stripping the parts off it and literally throwing it in the trash about 10 years ago.

3. I love Flying V guitars and own 2 of them. To me they just don't feel right as a bass. The wings balance out the neck but I just can't warm up to the overall look or feel but thats just me. Many people love them! If I was going to buy one it would be from Neal Moser!! They have a great import line in addition to his incredible customs. You might have to Email them for info on the basses, I don't think they are up on the site yet.

http://www.mosercustomshop.com/

4. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    vintage gibson

5. I played one for a while. I loved it. I would've prefered a full scale instead of the short though. Personally, if I'm going with a Flying V, I want it from the company that made it famous, I want the real thing. If I were you, I would check out ebay for a used epiphone one. You can pick them up pretty cheap, and you will feel like a freakin' rock star on stage playing one, haha.

6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    bump

7. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    Dean makes them... they had a small line out before... i think like 25made? theeeen recently they came out with a series and are selling them again... but way lower quality... checkout the dean website. the original are made of alder and have a different bridge and.. have a bridge AND neck emg pups..

8. Rocknrolljunkie

Rocknrolljunkie

Jan 29, 2006
    yeah i saw the deans.. dont really like the looks.. didnt played on tho. i'll try to find an epiphone on ebay.
    never played a short scale before so dont know if i'll like it. i'm gonna take that risk.

9. I wanted one for the longest time, and if money was no object, I'd be down for a custom...

But those things just seem to always be neckdive city :bawl::scowl:.

10. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Kramer made an aluminum neck flying V that turn up on ebay once in a while. More often you see the wedge-shaped Kramer (also aluminum) listed.

11. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    How about an 80's Kramer:

f9_12.

c8_12.

12. Sexy to be sure...but Kramer always had construction issues or somesuch, and I hear those aluminum necks still dive on the V's.

Sadly. Gawd, I'm a sucker for those shapes...

I also dig the XL series.

13. steve21

steve21 Banned

Speesey Giesler from Kreator has a Jackson Custom Shop RRV Bass, balck w/ green bevels & reverse headstock... sweet!

That + the conklin 7 string V are the only V basses I really dig.

14. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Got some extra $$$? How about Entwistle's Alembic:

15. Here's a link to a PDF of the Moser Import Line. I have the BVi-T 6 string guitar and the build quality,neck and overall sound is incredible. As soon as a standard body bass is available, I'm all over it :) I love the V bass but I'm wating for a more traditional body style.

http://www.nealmoser.com/MCS_2006_Import.pdf

16. Stingrayz

Stingrayz

Jan 15, 2006
    Kuwait
    Entwistle had a flying V alembic ?

I thought he had a spyder

17. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    The Ox owned more than one Alembic:

18. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    And play the Flying V

19. HAHA! The Ox's commentary on the Alembic V in "Bass Culture" was something along the lines of "Too heavy to lift off the ground, but handy for catching snakes." :D:smug:

20. leading*the*rat

leading*the*rat

Oct 3, 2005
    germany
    You could check Bassline from Germany: www.bassline-bass.de
    They just added Speesy from Kreator to their endorser-list and built a v-bass for him.