Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flying V or Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FrogSka, Dec 29, 2000.

1. FrogSka

FrogSka

Aug 22, 2000
    Can anyone tell me which is a better choice. A Fender Jazz bass (mexican) or an Epiphone Flying V bass? They are both the same price, and I am not sure which one to get. I've played a jazz bass before, but not the epiphone. Any feedback would be greatly appercaited.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you are looking for tone, the MIM Jazz is what you need.

If you want a cool looking bass, the V may be what you are looking for. But the electronics may not have the tone you are looking for.

You could always change the electronics later(and a lot of people do on the MIM as well), but inexpensive good quality replacements for J style pickups are much easier to find.

3. FrogSka

FrogSka

Aug 22, 2000
    Thanks for the information. Basically I play in a pop/punk/rock/acoustic Christan band. I just wanted something that I could leave in drop d for some songs, kinda like a backup bass.

our website address is below if anyone wants to check us out. To hear us just search Neutral Agreement on Napster.

[Edited by FrogSka on 12-29-2000 at 10:28 PM]

4. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I say go with the MIM Jazz. I just got one for christmas a few days ago, and it's great. The quality appears to be better than anything else i've seen in that price range. It sounds really good too. I have never tried the Epiphone V, but I played the Epiphone explorer which is similar, and I hated it. Oh, I tune my jazz bass in drop d too, and it sounds sweet and the string isn't floppy, so thats another thing i like. hope that helps

5. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    the V probably has a very different tone from the jazz bass, because of the short-scale and set-in neck.

I'd suggest the jazz bass as well. I have a Fernandes jazz bass copy, but it sounds a lot better than my MIM jazz did. that brings me to the big point: be sure to get a good one, even if it means dragging out every one the music store has in stock. (mine was a hand-me-down)

6. what you might not like about the V is the balance. have you ever played a bass where the strap attaches behind the neck joint? i don't like that. i'd make an exception for a guild starfire though...

7. i would get the flying V because it would look cool sitting i a stand on stage. then if i was playing bad that night i could hear people saying "wow that bass player couldn't carry a note with a handle" "but that bass is pretty cool" then again the vibrations on stage would probally bounch the V out of the stand.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'd get the Flying V If I were at a Jam and someone brought in a huge bowl of spaghetti.

Will C.:cool: