Flying V wreckage.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Theshortlist_to, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    About an hour ago,

This bitch of a disaster happened after a very eventful festival slot of my brothers band, the bass was thrown down, i cringed as i saw it hit the ground neck first and the majority of the pressure hit the headstock.

Unfortunatly, (epiphone) Flying V's are set necks, otherwise this wouldnt be such a problem as i could quite happily replace the neck for him.

any suggestions of what would be the best solution to fixing the bass would be handy,

my father suggested aluminium rods and alot of gluing and clamping, however i fear it may be unfixable, i suppose a good luthier could take out the neck and create a neck pocket for a replacement bolt on.

Im sure someone on here could correct me and explain why gluing woudnt be acceptable.

P.s The snapped area goes down underneath the nut where it stops. (see pic 1)

2. That's actually very similar to a repair I've done. The headstock split right through the E-string peghole, just like yours there. I used a pair of tiny (1/8" or maybe smaller) machine screws, with some even tinier pilot holes, to hold it in. One screw went on each side of the peghole, in from the top, parallel to the nut. I countersunk the heads a bit. I glued it up, tightened the screws, clamped the daylights out of it, and left it clamped for a couple days.

I put a nice rosewood binding around the head (to cover the screws), and called it a feature.

2 years later, it's still holding up.

You've got some good rough surface for gluing there, should hold up fine.
  3. Yep just glue it up, the wood glue these days is stronger than wood anyday. My uncle re-glued a headstock that snapped off over 23 years ago, it broke just the other side of the nut. It still holds strong with no pegs, screws, just good old Elmers.
    Don't worry all is not lost!
    Good Luck,
  4. jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    This will be quite adequate to repair with glue alome IF you...

-clean the the surface of any loose fibres or splinters so that it fits perfectly.

- do a trial run with clamping before gluing and make up any jigs or shaped pads to ensure that all areas get adequate clamping force perpendicular to the joint face. band clamps can be good for curved areas. If it does not clamp up tightly together with no gap it is not ready for glue.

If in doubt take it to a luthier, It will be an easy job for him now, but not after a botched repair

5. That's some fine signature material there.
  6. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    It's not a hard job, but youmust be thorough and patient.
  7. Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    im sure i'll be able to manage the repair, i will put a lot of love attention and patience into anything regarding a bass.

i will make up some jigs and prepare the surface.

i'll keep you all updated with more pics