1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flying Vs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dkissfan1, Nov 2, 2013.

1. dkissfan1

dkissfan1

Apr 9, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I've got a question for anyone who's interested. I'm considering a Gibson or an Epiphone Flying V. The Gibson is the cherry stained one from 2010 and the Epiphone is the current model in white. The Gibson has got 2 days left on eBay and I expect it to end up between $500-700, and the Epiphone is new at $399. I've heard that the Gibsons don't really have a great tone, so basically I'd be paying for the name, which I'm not sure I care about. Thoughts?

2. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    The Gibson has TB+ pickups, imo way better sounding than what Epiphone uses...the neck on the Gibson also feels awesome

3. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Have an Epiphone V.

Plays good, I like the neck Easier to play standing rather than sitting, but the rubber in the side of the body helps.

Didn't like the pickups at all. Just never could get any sound that I liked out of them. Ended up modding it heavily, TV Jones pickups, ToneStyler tone pots, custom pick guard, jack thru body (after it was done my luthier and I wished we'd have put a Strat jack on the inside of the lower wing) Pelham blue paint, all gold hardware.

Plays good and sounds like no,other one I've ever seen. But I think that if one was to just change the pickups and electronics they'd have a very usable bass.

4. I have never played the Epiphone but I own the Gibson. I love it. The T-bird plus pick-ups offer the voice of the gods. Playing seated is not a problem at all you just rest the crux of the v over your right leg. This is hands down my favorite bass even though it is not my most expensive. I liked it so much that I traded in my american sp. Jazz because I never played it anymore. The Gibson gets the nod over the Epiphone because it comes with a hard shell case, and will hold it's value and possibly appreciate over time. There are only 400 of them, they were made in Nashville and are simply great instruments.

5. dkissfan1

dkissfan1

Apr 9, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    The case is a pretty good point. The Epiphone doesn't have one. I already have a coffin case, which is ugly but will do the job. I'd prefer the Gibson case. I actually live right by where the factory was in Nashville. The flood kind of screwed up the area and I'm not sure if they still build guitars here or not. It's a shame really.

6. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    The Gibson will hold its value better.

7. They still make guitars there but the store/factory tour is no longer there. I don't even know if the mall ever reopened. They seem to be making higher end acoustic electrics in Memphis now (Check out the Memphis bass, it is the reason why I have not pulled the trigger on a Midtown). I wish they were built in Kalamazoo still as that is only an hour away.

8. BTW the Gibson V has a baked maple neck where the Epiphone likely has rosewood. The baked maple looks like rosewood and smells like a stack of pancakes. Maple is harder than rosewood and evidently I must prefer maple as all three of my basses and my sixer all have maple fret-boards.

9. dkissfan1

dkissfan1

Apr 9, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Hmm. I do love pancakes. Haha.