1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flying with 2 basses- Which case or bag???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Sep 20, 2015.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    OK, so I have a gig in Chicago next month that I will be flying to. If I can I would like to bring two basses.

I have purchased a first class ticket on a relatively empty (Wednesday afternoon) flight as I suspect the airline will be more receptive to allowing a gig bag in the plane, possibly in the first class coat closet.

That said there is always the risk that the flight fills up or for some reason they insist on a gate check.

With that in mind are there any super durable gig bags that could withstand a gate check if one were to happen? Or are there flight-worthy double cases that I can just check at the ticketing desk?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    ANyone?

3. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    That gig must pay well if you're buying a first class ticket ;) I would assume that there's a good chance you will not be allowed to carry your bass on with you. The best way to go, then, is probably with an ATA style case. If you want to take a chance with a "soft" case but still have something that can offer good protection should it be put in the baggage compartment then I would suggest a Sadowsky Portabag.

4. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Social Media Manager, Product Development at GHS Strings
    Why not? The new laws state that instruments are allowed on board as long as there is room, and that is usually determined by when you get on the plane. If the OP is flying first class, I think he'll have little to no problem putting his basses in an overhead or, if the attendants are very nice, in the coat closet.

I flew back from NAMM last year with a Sire V7 bass in the regular gig bag, only had Group 1 boarding on very full flights, and got it in the overhead every time (with exception of the puddle jumper from Chicago to Kalamazoo, which the attendant put it in the coat closet).

To the OP, I'd look at something like the Mono Dual Electric Bass gigbag, as it would provide excellent protection and in the rare chance (since you are flying first class) it had to be gate-checked, would survive, due to the neck supports and padding. A friend flew from NY to TX years back (prior to the new flight regulation) and they made him check his mono case with a custom shop Warwick. Said the bass made it just fine.

5. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    If you want to trust that the airline will conform to the new regulations regarding flying with instruments that's up to you. Depending on the airline the overheads might not be big enough to accomodate a bass and I can see where that conversation could possibly lead ("Sorry sir, there isn't room..."). As for Mono cases, I would not be comfortable using mine to fly with. Of course, it might come out of the baggage compartment unscathed in a Mono (as it potentially could in any case) but that's still a bigger chance than I would be willing to take.

6. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Social Media Manager, Product Development at GHS Strings
    True, and that's a valid concern. However, it's really not hard to travel with an instrument that you carry onboard the plane. You just need to be nice and get on the plane first, which works well for the OP since he's first class.

The only time I've seen that is with those local planes, where the overhead is definitely not big enough to fit, so you need so smile and ask politely for them to put the bass in the coat closet. They usually will...if you're polite and ask. And are on first, which the OP will be, since they're flying first class. Most commercial planes have large enough overheads for an electric bass, no problem.

I'd be handing out much different advice if the OP said he had a regular economy ticket with Group 4 (i.e. the last) boarding. That's usually when you see people getting their bags gate checked on a regular basis. And even then, prior to the new regs, I've seen attendants accommodate people that were the last to board.

Bob_Ross and bass12 like this.
  7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Some guys say that with the ruling that if an attendant gives
    you a hard time bringing it on board the captain has the final say.
    Being diplomatic and polite the captain usually says OK.
    Good Luck.

8. This is something I've been wondering about as well. I have a show in California in December and I'm hoping that ill be allowed to put my instruments in the coat closet. If worse comes to worse, could I just stand the bass up in front of me, in its gig bag, where I'm sitting? It wouldn't be comfortable but Id definitely be uncomfortable with my bass being tossed around with luggage in nothing but a gig bag :eek:

9. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Absolutely not. 100% guaranteed you would not be allowed to fly like that.

10. aww shucks! I better hope for the best and pray about the rest then...