Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flying with a Smith Hard Shell Case

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mario Lewis, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Hi Guys! (And Gals)

I'm getting ready to do a big move from overseas to the mainland. I have a recent model (less than two years old) Smith BSR6-MW. I'm trying to hang on to the bass so that I have something to play with until I get on the plane to leave. My furniture leaves before me and it'll be at least two months before I'm reunited with my personal effects. Will the Hard Shell Case that my Smith came in be sufficient to check with the baggage? Can anyone tell me if it meets ATA specs?

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    put that case into a keyboard case.
    then it is ata approved!

steve

3. You mean the teardrop shaped one? I doubt it. Still a nice case though. You might be able to get away with gate checking it, although I'm not too sure about that with the new security regulations and whatnot. A guy I know used to always insist on bringing it through the metal detectors and checking it on to the plane at the boarding gate. If someone protested, he would say that the airline told him to bring it through. If the airline people complained, he would say that their ticket agent told him that he could bring it "and that's the only reason I bought a ticket on your airline". Seemed to work well--sorry if this sounds like a scam. When I brought my Wal home from England, I just taped up the fiberglass case a bunch of times and put it on the plane.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    can i see a pick of this case?
    will it fit into a keyboard case?

steve

5. It's a teardrop-shaped case. Just like the Fodera case.

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    okay thanks funky

steve

7. Fender Will

Fender Will

Jan 2, 2001
    Actually, I think he means the big honkin heavy rectangular Ken Smith cases....the last 5 Smith basses I've bought all had cases like that....the teardrop hasnt been made for Smith in a while, as far as I know.

I'd think the case would be fine in baggage, they are bomb proof.

8. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Yeah, I've got the rectangular one. I'm thinking that It'll be O.K. from Honolulu to Cali.