1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flying with an Acoustic Image Combo Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lokire, Sep 15, 2008.

1. So...I'm going to be flying to New York to play in an Opera, and I need to figure out how to get my amp there safetly. It's an Acoustic Image Coda combo. Pretty small and lightweight. I still have the original box and packing materials that it came with. Do you I could just box it up and throw it into baggage check or would it be safer to ship it there ahead of time?

I know there is a hardshell case made for the Acoustic Image combos:

http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/1133-HARD_CASE_FOR_SERIES_III_CONTRA_CODA_CORUS.html

Says it can be checked as luggage, but I'm not so sure. Anyone have any experience with the case?

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    They will check it in without any problems.

3. I know it can be checked, I just want to make sure that it will be protected well enough. I don't want to get there and have an expensive amp that doesn't work anymore, ya know?

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Might the Coda fit in some kind of roll aboard suitcase? You could then possibly carry it on, but even checked it might be better because you could provide more padding, assuming it fits. The hardshell case above provides almost zero protection from shock, i.e., getting dropped on the tarmack from 3 or 4 feet. :eek:

5. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    You can never be sure if you're not using a proper heavy duty case. Obviously, you need to pack it as if it was going to be shipped thru UPS (aka, survive a nuclear war).

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If you check it as baggage they'll want to be able to open the box to examine it.

Those amps are pretty rugged, it shouldn't be a problem but if have the original shipping box you could ship it to the hotel ahead of time.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What about just renting one when you get there?

I own the "hard case", it's similar to a hardshell drum case. I wouldn't trust it as checked baggage myself. It can't be locked, either.

8. In case (get it? :ninja:) anyone is still following, this is the solution I decided on:

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=0340

It's a little big (the Coda is 15" on the longest side), but it'll give me over 3" on the sides and 6" on the top/bottom for foam and extra padding. Maybe I'll get the padded Mooradian bag for the amp while I'm at it. Good times :)