Flying with bass updates!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ackeim, Jun 28, 2005.

1. ackeim

Nov 10, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Hello TB- I just flew this weekend to a festival on United Airlines with my bass in a flight case in baggage. They told me that they would still let you buy a ticket for your bass on the plane! And, they had never stopped doing so! Reading on TB had convinced me that 9/11 stopped all companies from doing this, but not according to united! BTW, thanks to Paul W for the case rental.
  2. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    Way to go. Malev is gonna let me have the bass in the seat next to me in August. Always check with the airlines, ya never know.
  3. did United make you pay an oversize fee?
  4. Aaron (akeim) mentioned they got him for $100 out and another $25 back. You never know.
  5. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    The Polish airline LOT also told me they will sell me an extra seat. But I'd have to change airlines to get from Texas to Poland anyway so I gave up and bought one of those Cremonasia cases... a friend happens to be traveling to the Philippines next month and that can hopefully save me much of the freight fee.
  6. jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i asked my teacher about this once when he mentioned he was flying to new mexico for some jazz concert or festival, also to kansas city for an orchestra thing. he said he buys a ticket for his bass and puts it in the seat next to him, it sits between him and his wife. i thought that was pretty funny, but i guess its pretty common. he said they do look all inside it to check for bombs or weapons and freaks about them scratching it.