flying with bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hyperlitem, May 24, 2004.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    K i did some searches and didnt exactly get the answers i needed. Im flying to austrlia and i have 4 or 5 connecting flights. The different airlines wont let me have certain size baggage and a guitar case wont fit into their set perameters. Im thinkin of unbolting the neck and padding the bass then putting it in my bag. I also am only allowed 2 bags and this would cut down on the amount of baggage i have to take. Is this a good idea. Ive unbolted necks on basses before but never my warwick and how worried should i be. If anyone has any other suggestions let me know, but a flight case is pretty much out of the question.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I usually prefer to fly with a flight case, no worries. If not, then I use a carry-on gig bag, but ONLY when I know for certain that it will fit in the overhead compartment of EACH flight, and that the airline attendants won't have a problem with it.

If neither of those options would work for me, I'd then take it apart and cushion it in my suitcase as you proposed.
  3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Airplanes have closets that the attendants use for jackets and such. I have flown several times with my 5 string in a gig bag and they have put it in the closet everytime. Just ask them if they want to be responsible for a $2000 claim on their flight and they'll ablige. Good luck.