flying with bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bennet Pullen, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    hey guys I am flying to LA tomorrow a few days early for NAMM to visit a friend at calARTs, and I have some questions about flying with my bass.

As I see it I have a few options

A) I can try and carry it on in a gig bag, if they won't let me then what?

B) I can gate check it in a normal (not flight rated) hard case.

C) or I can try and carry on my backup bass and than if they won't let me I can gate check it, in a gig bag, even though its my old bass I still care about it and that scares me.

I am leaning toward gate checking in my normal hardcase (it is a roscoe case if anybody has experience with those) but what do you guys think.

also there is an option D) which is to carry both my 6 and my fretless on in my double gig bag. If there was no worries this is what I would do... But I have a flight case for my fretless so if I take it I will use that.
  2. The first thing I would say to you is call your air service provider, and ask them directly what you can do. Sometimes there is enough space in overheads and such for larger fragile items. I would not recommend throwing one of the most emotionally and economically valuable items in your life into the baggage compartment as you don't want to know what those loading guys do with luggage, simply attrocious.

The only other advice I can give is if they won't let you take it with you onboard, look at renting or borrowing a bass in Cali, as taking a risk with your bass is simply not worth it.

Hope that helps.
  3. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Why are you bringing your bass? Do you have a gig? You do know that you can't bring a bass into the NAMM show without a red (exhibitor's) badge, right?

If you weren't going tomorrow, I would have highly recommended that you purchase the rolling flight case made by SKB. It's light-weight and is designed to fit your bass in its gig bag, so that when you get to where you're going you can drop the case and carry your bass in the gig bag. It fit my Ken Smith 6 string.
  4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    when i came to live here to spain the guy who was sit next to me was flying with his guitar in the overhead compartment in a full load trans-atlantic flight, so you will probably be able to carry your bass in.
  5. I always try to get early and put my bass in a gig bag in the overhead but if i can't I check it at the gate and never had a problem...
  6. rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    If so, remove the strings and neck, and it'll easily fit into a carry-on bag.
  7. JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    I once saw a tuba case fall off those cart thingys while I was in the plane. It must have been thrown around cuz when that case dropped, the tuba fell out before it hit the ground. Since I saw that, I'd never take my bass on a plane unless I could put it in the overhead compartment.
  8. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    This has been covered quite a few times. I recommend doing a search in the basses forum.