Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flying with Gator cases?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aslan, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Aslan

Aslan

Sep 20, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I live in Sweden and next week, I will go to Germany by plane to play at a festival. I want to take my new Eden WT800B with me and all I have is a Gator Deluxe 2U rack case for it.
    Does anyone have experience with checking in Gator rack cases? Do I need a real flight case?

Thankful for any answer!

2. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    Sorry I can't help you with your specific question, but I just flew with my bass and my Eden WT400. I checked the bass in (in the Fender hard shell case) and I carried the amp with me on the plane. It was safe in a carry-on bag.

After I flew back home, my bass case was cracked and now I need to get a better one before I fly with it again, I don't know if it would survive another flight. My amp came back without a scratch under my own care.

With that in mind, I'd recommend getting a real flight case or carrying on the WT800B with you on the plane. I know the 800 is larger than the 400, but it should be fine to carry on in the Gator rack bag. It would be a shame if the airline damaged your amp. It's no secret that they don't treat baggage very gently. Good luck!