Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flying with my Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by adam on bass, Mar 29, 2004.

1. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I am about to make a journey with my bass and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with flying and carrying on your bass. I REALLY don't want to check it. I have a great gig bag and was hoping it would fit in the overhead. Thoughts?

It's a Spector NS2000/5 and it's a 35 scale neck.

Thanx.

2. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    Depends on the airline and the type of plane. I recently flew on ATA airlines and had absolutely no problems. I did have to gate check my Zon on a smaller plane but it wasn't a problem. They took good care of my baby. On a 737-800 it fit in the overhead just fine. Security took a little bit longer since they went over it a couple times but it wasn't an issue at all.
    You can call the airline ahead of time and find out for sure if they have any problems letting you carry it on.
    There have been numerous posts on this. I think there were some pretty useful links in the other posts also.

3. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    never tried taking them in the air........ that would make me nervous. i'm about to drive from detroit to houston. my basses will be sitting in the passenger seat and coming in the hotel with me.