1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flying with newer SKB Bass Safe, is Gate Check an option?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Michael Valerio, Jan 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hi Fellow Talk Bassists!

I couldn't find an answer to this question, so here goes.

I'm about to fly domestically with my bass guitar in a newer Skb roto case
    (model number 1SKB 44-rw). From what I have read on numerous posts, it seems that the problem with this case is getting the TSA folks to close it back up properly. I found the posts regarding bungee cords or velcro straps around the handles as a backup plan, but it still makes me nervous. It seems to me one way to circumvent this problem would be to take the case with me to the gate and then gate check the case.

Has anyone tried this? Does the skb safe fit through the normal x-ray machines? Is this a silly strategy?

Any and all insight is helpful. Thanks in advance!
    -m

2. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    When I arrived in Germany ...several years ago....my bass was hanging out of the end of the SKB bass case......latches hanging loose...lid half off

3. I'm pretty sure if you try to walk through the X-ray machine with that case they will obviously stop you and tell you to check it..

Just try to watch them open and close your case when you are at the TSA place dropping off your bass..

(Right after you check in at the counter)

4. And this is exactly what I am trying to avoid. Thanks for your reply.

murphy likes this.
  5. I fear you are probably correct. Thanks for responding to my post

6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Based on my experiences, you might be able to do this maybe 10-20% of the time. Maybe. The vast majority of the time that inspection takes place out of sight, beyond closed doors, in an area where passengers are not welcome.