1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flying with your bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vpermana, Jan 24, 2013.

1. vpermana

vpermana

Nov 17, 2009
    Bethesda, MD
    Hi All,
    Has any body recently take the bass as carry on during international flight?
    Did it fit inside the overhead compartment?
    Any advice?
    Thanks

2. DaRQsiDe

DaRQsiDe

Jan 17, 2008
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Depends on the airline you're journeying with...

I had to part with my guitar before boarding the last time I was flying out of US... Since I didn't actually checked the guitar in, it was OK.

I've heard people using long gun cases, since they are sturdy as hell (military specs).

My $0.02

3. vpermana

vpermana

Nov 17, 2009
    Bethesda, MD
    what airline was yours?
    did you pick it up at the plane door?
    Thanks

4. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    If you bring the alleva, put it in its hard shell case locked and all will be fine. If it is the Squier, get it duct taped on one of the wings and that will be fine, they are tough enough for that...

I traveled to Europe and the bass in it's hard shell case locked is fine, I never had a problem. It has to be the one made for the bass you travel with not an all purpose one otherwise pack it up like if you were to ship the bass to someone that had just bought it from you and that will work.

5. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I built a PVC case for the neck and strapped it to my bag. I wrapped the body in about 10 sweatshirts and put it in the middle of my bag. Made it there fine and my bags fit within spec.

6. I fly twice a month. I stay in a hotel for two weeks. I bought a cheap bass for travel and use a Vox bass headphone amp to practice with while in my room.

I tried asking the crew if I could store the bass in the closet area of the aircraft. Some flights allowed, others didn't. I fly US Airways. It varies from flight to flight if they will allow.

So, I simply remove the neck and place it in my checked suitcase. Hey, it's a dirt cheap bass so I am not concerned with damage, etc. However, be careful that your suitcase does not exceed weight restrictions or you will pay dearly!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021