Flying with your bow in a bowcase (Air Canada) OK?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Aaron123, Nov 22, 2022.

1. Aaron123

Aaron123 Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2018
    Plymouth, Michigan
    I am traveling internationally and want to bring my carbon fiber German bass bow. The case exceeds the carry-on baggage limit length.
    On the other hand, Air Canada Musical Instrument Policies 2022 states:

"Exception: String instruments (e.g. guitars, violins and violas) can be carried on board - even if their dimensions slightly exceed Air Canada’s carry-on size requirements - as long as they fit in the overhead bin and there is space available in the cabin at time of boarding"

The bow case won't fit my check-in luggage. Should I risk trying to bring it as a carry-on? Advice needed!

2. BlueRock

BlueRock

Oct 6, 2022
    I'd probably go for it as carry-on. Worst scenario is they'd make you gate check it. Velcro straps to keep it closed might be good.

Aaron123 likes this.
  3. Aaron123

Feb 5, 2018
    Plymouth, Michigan
    I appreciate your reply! I will bring it with a lock attached like the picture in case I need to check it in at the gate. Hard case should hold.... I hope.

Attached Files:

4. bass12

bass12 Have You Met Grace Jones?

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I flew Air Canada with my electric bass in July. The stewardess greeting flyers as they boarded the plane tried to fit my bass in the crew closet. Turned out the closet was too small (there was a divider that rendered the closet space too short for my bass) so I had to gate check. The crew closet might, however, be an option for your bow.

Aaron123 likes this.
  5. Aaron123

Feb 5, 2018
    Plymouth, Michigan
    I appreciate the info! The bow case is 32 inches long, but should fit in the overhead bins. I have seen people bringing in skateboards so this shouldn't cause a problem....

bass12 likes this.
  6. basscleff94010

basscleff94010 Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I have flown at least 10 major carriers international with a bow case and had no problems. Be sure you don't just put it in overhead but wait until the bin is full. People can throw some heavy luggage on top of it. The bigger problem is the security check-in staff. They often what to inspect and even test the case for explosives. (They often ask if it is a pool queue.)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022 at 12:02 AM
    JeffKissell and Aaron123 like this.
  7. Aaron123

Feb 5, 2018
    Plymouth, Michigan
    I appreciate the info! I will be ready for anything during my flight tomorrow.

8. I connect my bow case to my backpack, and disconnect it and put it behind the other luggage as I put it in the overhead bin. I've flown with a bow case all over the world since 1997 or so and never had an issue!

JeffKissell, Aaron123 and Brilee like this.
  9. Aaron123

Feb 5, 2018
    Plymouth, Michigan
    Thanks everyone! I had no issues at all! I think I will purchase a new bow while I am traveling.